Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Formatting won't change

I created a workbook and in one of the tabs the formatting will not change
when you go into format cells. The book is not protected, has no
conditional formatting, or auto formatting, and data validation is not on
that cell. If you cut a date value (displayed as a number), and paste it
into another sheet, it goes back to the date format. I'm a pretty skilled
user, but cannot figure out what's going on......
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Are the numbers date serial numbers?

Could be they are formatted as text and the cut and paste into a General
cell acts to re-format to real numbers.

What happens if you select the range of source numbers and run them through
DataText to ColumnsFinish?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP