Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Multi cell fill

Using excel v.2007

I would like to populate a number of cells with the same answer depending on
what I answer in cells prior to the cells I want with the same answer.

For example. If I answer 'yes' in cell A1, then I would like cells B1
through to G1 to have an answer of 'n/a'.

I'm new to the world of excel, so please can you help. If you need more
info, let me know.

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It depends what you want the other answers to be and how many variables there
are. For the specific situation you list below I would use
=IF(A1"YES","N/a","X")
This would mean that if A1 said yes then whatever cell this formula appeared
in would say n/a and if A1 said anything else then an X would appear in the
other cells. If, however, you want more than two responses it may need to be
done differently.

E.g. Yes=N/a
No=X
Blue=Y
Red=Z

This would need to be done differently I think. If it is as simple as if the
cell says yes put n/a and if it says anything else put "phrase" then the
formula above will work and can be copied into relevant cells.

If your situation is more complex than Yes = N/a and anything else = X then
with more info I may be able to help more.

"slavenp" wrote:

Using excel v.2007

I would like to populate a number of cells with the same answer depending on
what I answer in cells prior to the cells I want with the same answer.

For example. If I answer 'yes' in cell A1, then I would like cells B1
through to G1 to have an answer of 'n/a'.

I'm new to the world of excel, so please can you help. If you need more
info, let me know.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In B1, use the formula =IF($A1="yes",NA(),"") if you want the N/A function
or =IF($A1="yes","n/a","") if you want n/a as text.
Copy across through to G1
--
David Biddulph

"slavenp" wrote in message
Using excel v.2007

I would like to populate a number of cells with the same answer depending
on
what I answer in cells prior to the cells I want with the same answer.

For example. If I answer 'yes' in cell A1, then I would like cells B1
through to G1 to have an answer of 'n/a'.

I'm new to the world of excel, so please can you help. If you need more
info, let me know.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

To have this formula fill cells subsequent to B1, you need to modify it like
so:
=if($a1="yes","n/a","whatever you want if it's not yes")
Otherwise, copying the original formula to cell C1 would test B1 instead of
A1.
--
TedMi