Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
jbb jbb is offline

Default how do i show the calculated value in a cell rather than formula

i enter a formula in a cell expecting when i hit enter the value of that
formula will appear. Nope, just the formula is there. I know that the
formula is correct, because the function argument box show the result. does
anyone know to trigger the cell switch from showing the formula to showing
the result of the formula? currently how i'm getting around this is that i
go to a blank cell and enter a simple math problem (=5+5) into that cell, if
the cell shows the result i'll cut and paste it into cell i've been working
in. then, as long as i don't delete the equil sign (=) in the formula, i can
put my formula in an everthing works like i want it to. there has to be an
easier way than this.

thank you for your help
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Select All
Go to Format - Format cells - general

I had this happen yesterday and by reformatting back to "General", my
formulas started working again and I was able to move forward.

"jbb" wrote:

i enter a formula in a cell expecting when i hit enter the value of that
formula will appear. Nope, just the formula is there. I know that the
formula is correct, because the function argument box show the result. does
anyone know to trigger the cell switch from showing the formula to showing
the result of the formula? currently how i'm getting around this is that i
go to a blank cell and enter a simple math problem (=5+5) into that cell, if
the cell shows the result i'll cut and paste it into cell i've been working
in. then, as long as i don't delete the equil sign (=) in the formula, i can
put my formula in an everthing works like i want it to. there has to be an
easier way than this.

thank you for your help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Your cell may have accidentally been formatted as text. Format the cell to
the number format you require and then click on the cell again and press F2
followed by Enter to re-enter the value in the cell, hopefully it should now
show the correct value.

Andrea Jones
www.stratatraining.co.uk