KG

Default long formula obscures cell view

I have a workbook with very long formulas (basically external links to
several other workbooks). As a result, when I point to a cell containing such
a formula, the multi-line formula description drops down and obscures the
contents of the cell. I presume that there is a way to prevent that from
happening, but I couldn't find it in ToolsOptions
Jason Morin

You can hide the Formula Bar under View Formula Bar, or
do it under Tools Options View.

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA

I have a workbook with very long formulas (basically

external links to
several other workbooks). As a result, when I point to a

cell containing such
a formula, the multi-line formula description drops down

and obscures the
contents of the cell. I presume that there is a way to

prevent that from
happening, but I couldn't find it in ToolsOptions
.

Dave Peterson

Maybe you could temporarily hide that formula bar:

View|uncheck formulabar
or using the shortcuts: alt-v,f

Or maybe make the worksheet window a little smaller so that it doesn't fight
with the formula bar.

--

Dave Peterson
KG

There is no perfect way to do this, because I need to see the formula bar as
well as the cell itself. Temporarily hiding the formula bar seems to be the
best compromise. Thanks for the suggestions!

KG wrote:

I have a workbook with very long formulas (basically external links to
several other workbooks). As a result, when I point to a cell containing such
a formula, the multi-line formula description drops down and obscures the
contents of the cell. I presume that there is a way to prevent that from
happening, but I couldn't find it in ToolsOptions

--

Dave Peterson

Jack Sons

KG,

Insert a few extra (empty) rows at the top of the sheet.

Jack Sons
The Netherlands

"KG" schreef in bericht
I have a workbook with very long formulas (basically external links to
several other workbooks). As a result, when I point to a cell containing
such
a formula, the multi-line formula description drops down and obscures the
contents of the cell. I presume that there is a way to prevent that from
happening, but I couldn't find it in ToolsOptions

Gord Dibben

KG

Work-around could be to enter a WindowSplit at say A5. Select your cell
with the long formula in the lower part of the split window. The text in the
formula bar would cover just the top part of the split window.

Alternative.........reduce the size of the sheet window and move it down far
enough to be below the extent of the formula bar.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP