Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Formula from a single cell to a merged cell

Hi All,

I have a sheet with raw data(single cells) and a cover sheet linked to the
data by formulas. My cover sheet has merged cells and when I try to insert a
formula into one of the merged cells(linking back to the single cells) and
then drag down to copy the formula I find the formula skips a row.

For example, merged cells A1 and A2(cover sheet) will pick up single cell
A1(raw data) but when I drag the formula down to merged cells A3 and A4 it
will pick up the data in single cell A3 instead of A2.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Another good reason not to merge cells! <g

Try this entered in A1 of your cover sheet:

=INDEX(Sheet2!A:A,ROWS(A$1:A2)/2)

A1:A2 = Sheet2!A1
A3:A4 = Sheet2!A2
A5:A6 = Sheet2!A3
A7:A8 = Sheet2!A4
etc
etc

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Rodders" wrote in message
Hi All,

I have a sheet with raw data(single cells) and a cover sheet linked to the
data by formulas. My cover sheet has merged cells and when I try to insert
formula into one of the merged cells(linking back to the single cells) and
then drag down to copy the formula I find the formula skips a row.

For example, merged cells A1 and A2(cover sheet) will pick up single cell
A1(raw data) but when I drag the formula down to merged cells A3 and A4 it
will pick up the data in single cell A3 instead of A2.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
this is a problem with merged cells. excel is doing what it's suppose to do.
even though you have the cells merged, excel is still seeing rows 1 through
4. you may not be able to use the drag method. better just to type the
formula in.

regards
FSt1

"Rodders" wrote:

Hi All,

I have a sheet with raw data(single cells) and a cover sheet linked to the
data by formulas. My cover sheet has merged cells and when I try to insert a
formula into one of the merged cells(linking back to the single cells) and
then drag down to copy the formula I find the formula skips a row.

For example, merged cells A1 and A2(cover sheet) will pick up single cell
A1(raw data) but when I drag the formula down to merged cells A3 and A4 it
will pick up the data in single cell A3 instead of A2.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You're welcome!

--
Biff