Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How To Retrieve Data From Last Cell In Column?

I'm trying to create a formula that will retrieve the text from the last cell
containing text in a column. No calculation necessary. Trying to keep the top
cell in a column updated with whatever the last entry in that column is...

Bruce

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this:

=LOOKUP(REPT("z",255),A:A)

That will return the last TEXT entry from column A. Note that that also
includes formula blanks ("") which are text.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Bagheera" wrote in message
I'm trying to create a formula that will retrieve the text from the last
cell
containing text in a column. No calculation necessary. Trying to keep the
top
cell in a column updated with whatever the last entry in that column is...

Bruce

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks!

I tried it, but get "Microsoft Excel cannot calculate a formula. Cell
references in the formula refer to the formula's result, creating a circular
reference..."

??

"Bagheera" wrote:

I'm trying to create a formula that will retrieve the text from the last cell
containing text in a column. No calculation necessary. Trying to keep the top
cell in a column updated with whatever the last entry in that column is...

Bruce

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You guys are awesome. Thanks for helping...

The column is formatted for dates. After the "circular reference" dialog,
the cell fills with "1/0/1900." The bottom cell entry is "7/28/2008."

sigh.

"Bagheera" wrote in message
I'm trying to create a formula that will retrieve the text from the last
cell
containing text in a column. No calculation necessary. Trying to keep the
top
cell in a column updated with whatever the last entry in that column is...

Bruce

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can't obviously put that formula in column A, if you want to do that
change A:A
to A2:A65535 provided that you put it in A1

Peo Sjoblom

"Bagheera" wrote:

I'm trying to create a formula that will retrieve the text from the
last cell
containing text in a column. No calculation necessary. Trying to keep
the top
cell in a column updated with whatever the last entry in that column
is...

Bruce

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Don't put the formula *within* the referenced range. If you used the entire
column as the range reference then put the formula in a different column.
Examples:

=LOOKUP(REPT("z",255),A:A)
Put this formula in a column other than column A.

=LOOKUP(REPT("z",255),A1:A100)
Put this formula in any cell other than those from A1:A100.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Bagheera" wrote:

I'm trying to create a formula that will retrieve the text from the
last cell
containing text in a column. No calculation necessary. Trying to keep
the top
cell in a column updated with whatever the last entry in that column
is...

Bruce

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you haven't "messed" with the format a true Excel date is just a number
formatted to look like a date. So, you need to look for the *last numeric*
value in the range.

=LOOKUP(1E100,A:A)

Format as DATE

That will return the last number from column A. Do not enter the formula
*within* the referenced range otherwise you'll get the circular reference
warnings.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Bagheera" wrote in message
Date.

"Bagheera" wrote in message
I'm trying to create a formula that will retrieve the text from the
last
cell
containing text in a column. No calculation necessary. Trying to
keep
the
top
cell in a column updated with whatever the last entry in that column
is...

Bruce

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Then that most likely is a number

in A1 put this

=LOOKUP(99^99,A2:A65536)

Peo Sjoblom

"Bagheera" wrote in message
Date.

"Bagheera" wrote in message
I'm trying to create a formula that will retrieve the text from the
last
cell
containing text in a column. No calculation necessary. Trying to
keep
the
top
cell in a column updated with whatever the last entry in that column
is...

Bruce

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You're welcome!

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Bagheera" wrote in message
That did it. Thanks!

"T. Valko" wrote:

If you haven't "messed" with the format a true Excel date is just a
number
formatted to look like a date. So, you need to look for the *last
numeric*
value in the range.

=LOOKUP(1E100,A:A)

Format as DATE

That will return the last number from column A. Do not enter the formula
*within* the referenced range otherwise you'll get the circular reference
warnings.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP