Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default filling a single cell before the sum of the previous rows.

In other spreadsheet programs, you would create a spreadsheet with the
following information, row by row

21
10
15
15
1

then you would request a sum of the rows and wth some formatting it would
look like this:

21
10
15
15
1
--
62

where the - is, you would use \- and press enter to fill the single cell.

Can this be done in any and or all versions of excel and how is this done.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I believe what you're seeking is the Auto Sum feature. If you click in an
empty cell at the bottom of a list of numbers like that, or even out at one
end of a row of numbers, and click the Auto Sum icon and press [Enter] you'll
get a formula giving the total of those numbers in the cell.

The Auto Sum icon looks like the Greek letter Sigma, which is like a capital
M turned on edge, or a capital E with a bent edge on the left.

"Edward Letendre" wrote:

In other spreadsheet programs, you would create a spreadsheet with the
following information, row by row

21
10
15
15
1

then you would request a sum of the rows and wth some formatting it would
look like this:

21
10
15
15
1
--
62

where the - is, you would use \- and press enter to fill the single cell.

Can this be done in any and or all versions of excel and how is this done.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Actually I was just referring to the dashes or "-" that would fill the cell
above the sum function. In my case, cells A1 to A5 would have the numbers in
them, cell A6 would have the - filled to the width of the cell and cell A7
would have the sum total of cells A1 to A5. Thus what I need to know is how
do you format cell A6 so that it is full of dashes or"-" to show that it is
the end of the numbers and the sum value is below this cell. Help me if you
can.

Edward Letendre

"Edward Letendre" wrote:

In other spreadsheet programs, you would create a spreadsheet with the
following information, row by row

21
10
15
15
1

then you would request a sum of the rows and wth some formatting it would
look like this:

21
10
15
15
1
--
62

where the - is, you would use \- and press enter to fill the single cell.

Can this be done in any and or all versions of excel and how is this done.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

How about using the borders format to give that last cell (the one with the 1
in it) a line as its lower edge? There is a one-click way to do that.

In the formatting toolbar, about the 3rd icon from the right end is Borders
pull down. By default it is set to make the lower edge of a cell a single
line. Choose the cell then click the Borders icon and you get a bottom edge
line.

If you don't see the formatting toolbar, use View | Toolbars and choose the
Formatting from the list.

If you specifically want dashed line for the bottom edge, choose the cell
then use Format | Cells and set things up the way you want using the Borders
tab of the dialog that appears. After you've set up the format of a cell the
way you want, you don't have to go through the whole Format | Cells and use
of the Borders tab again - you can click a cell that is formatted the way you
want and then click the Format Painter (looks like a paint brush and is in
the standard toolbar just to the left of the UNDO icon) and then click on the
cell that you want formatted like the first one - the formatting of the first
will be applied to the second one also.

"Edward Letendre" wrote:

In other spreadsheet programs, you would create a spreadsheet with the
following information, row by row

21
10
15
15
1

then you would request a sum of the rows and wth some formatting it would
look like this:

21
10
15
15
1
--
62

where the - is, you would use \- and press enter to fill the single cell.

Can this be done in any and or all versions of excel and how is this done.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Another option is format using "Fill".

<Format <Cells <Alignment tab,
Expand the "Horizontal" box and click on <Fill, then <OK.

Now, any character entered into that cell will fill the cell from border to
border.
--
HTH,

RD

"Edward Letendre" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The fill worked perfectly. That is the way it should look. I guess the
programmers of excel have never worked with the older spreadsheets like
quattro pro and lotus 123. Your tip was exactly what I was looking for.
Thank you very much.

Edward Letendre

"Edward Letendre" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You're welcome, and thank you for the feed-back.

BTW ... In case you hadn't noticed, the cell is not limited to a single
character.

You could just as well have entered
<space-
Or anything else at all.