Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default auto grouping.

In column B I have our part numbers and in column A is our serial numbers.
Is there a way I can group the serial numbers with the correspondingpart
number with out doing this manually. Not every product number has serial
numbers and the products that do may have only one serial number or many
serial numbers depending on the quantities.
Serial # Product #
104-214100
4243232
4334532
104-214101
104-214103
5342322

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

thanks for the reply. How would you organize a pivot table to do this. My
serial numbers are listed in column A starting on the row below where the
part numbers are listed in column b. I'm not sure how pivot tables would do
this. My example below my message is how the information gets imported into
excel from our accounting software.

"bduncan" wrote in message
In column B I have our part numbers and in column A is our serial numbers.
Is there a way I can group the serial numbers with the correspondingpart
number with out doing this manually. Not every product number has serial
numbers and the products that do may have only one serial number or many
serial numbers depending on the quantities.
Serial # Product #
104-214100
4243232
4334532
104-214101
104-214103
5342322

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi There, so am I correct in assuming that every Serial row is blank when
Product is filled, & vice-vera? If so I would ensure that this is not just a
row enrty error (from your accounts package into xl, of either Serial or
Produst, and firstly to determine to which Serial does Product 104-21400
belong?
I know about exporting data from accounting packages into excel, better to
go via the MSQuery route of the a/c package database, eg ACCDATA in
SageLine50
Hope this helps. Mathew

"bduncan" wrote in message
In column B I have our part numbers and in column A is our serial
numbers.
Is there a way I can group the serial numbers with the
correspondingpart
number with out doing this manually. Not every product number has
serial
numbers and the products that do may have only one serial number or
many
serial numbers depending on the quantities.
Serial # Product #
104-214100
4243232
4334532
104-214101
104-214103
5342322

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes you are correct. I don't believe this is a row entry error from the
software. This is just how it exports it. Product Id is in column b and the
part numbers that have serial numbers will have them listed in column A on
the next rows below the product Id in column B. I just would like to
automatically have the product Id and serial numbers grouped together.

"bduncan" wrote in message
In column B I have our part numbers and in column A is our serial
numbers.
Is there a way I can group the serial numbers with the
correspondingpart
number with out doing this manually. Not every product number has
serial
numbers and the products that do may have only one serial number or
many
serial numbers depending on the quantities.
Serial # Product #
104-214100
4243232
4334532
104-214101
104-214103
5342322

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi there, which is the higher category, Serial or Product? If yo do not get
any other help, email me some of anonomysed data as xls. it may be as simple
as using the INDIRECT fn. I would post again (in a new thread) with more
dtail of your ss. M.