Don

Default A formula to express distance per minute ....

Hi all,
Given time in mm:ss and distance in general decimal form (eg 5.5 miles) is
there an effective way to write a formula to express the distance per minute?
I have tried a few things - to no avail ....
Also, I have a particular excell cell formatted as mm:ss - however I note I
always have to input data into cell in hh:mm:ss format? If I exclude 'hh'
(which is always 00) I get a meaningless data representation .... Is this
right?
thx,
Don-
Jim Rech

After you divide the distance by time divide that by 1440. Since time is
really "part days" you need to convert it to minutes by dividing by 24*60.

.... Is this right?

Yes. Number formats (excluding "text" which is not a number format) are not
input templates. They affect how a number is displayed not how an entry is
interpreted when it is entered.

--
Jim
"Don" wrote in message
| Hi all,
| Given time in mm:ss and distance in general decimal form (eg 5.5 miles) is
| there an effective way to write a formula to express the distance per
minute?
| I have tried a few things - to no avail ....
| Also, I have a particular excell cell formatted as mm:ss - however I note
| always have to input data into cell in hh:mm:ss format? If I exclude 'hh'
| (which is always 00) I get a meaningless data representation .... Is this
| right?
| thx,
| Don-

redbelly

Jim is correct. I'll just add that you may need to format the cell
containing the final distance-per-minute value. Excel may
automatically put it in hour:min format. In that case you'll need to
change the Number format of the cell to either General, or to Number
(with as many decimals places as you want -- your option).

Mark