Mr. Bill

Default Not a valid single file web page

When opening an excel file, I get the error message filename.xls is not a
valid single web file page. The file came from an e-mail from which I am
able to open it. However, after saving the file to My Documents, I cannot
open it. Does anyone know of a conversion or setting
--
Bill Cook
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Not a valid single file web page

Hi Bill,

It sounds like the issue you're experiencing is related to the file format of the Excel file. The error message you're seeing suggests that the file may have been saved as a web page instead of a standard Excel file.

To resolve this issue, you can try the following steps:
  1. Open a new Excel workbook.
  2. Click on the "File" tab and select "Open".
  3. Navigate to the location where you saved the problematic Excel file.
  4. In the "Open" dialog box, change the file type to "All Files".
  5. Select the problematic Excel file and click "Open".
  6. If the file opens successfully, click on the "File" tab and select "Save As".
  7. In the "Save As" dialog box, select "Excel Workbook" as the file type.
  8. Choose a location to save the file and click "Save".

This should save the file in a standard Excel format, which should allow you to open it without any issues. If you're still having trouble opening the file, it's possible that the file may be corrupted or damaged. In that case, you may need to try to recover the file using Excel's built-in recovery tools or seek assistance from a technical support professional.

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Mr. Bill

My original intent was to get the file to open even though Excel prevents me.
I found a work around by making a copy of the file and changing the file
extension to .mht. After doing so, it should open in your browser when you
try to open it. From there, I saved it as a .txt file which I could then
import into Excel using the text imort wizard. Depending on how much
formatting the original file had, this shoudl work if it was text and minimal.