Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Trouble opening hyperlinks to shared folder

My computer is on an internal network and I have created a shared folder that
is accessable to everyone on the network.

I have created an excel file with hyperlinks to files in this shared folder.
The hyperlinks themself only list the filename. The
File/Properities/Hyperlink Base is set to the shared folder, i.e.
\\Erd-wk-han7542d\CRREL Reports\Temp\ where Erd... is name of my computer,
"CRREL Reports" is shared folder, "Temp" is subfolder .

The links work for some people on the network, but most cannot open the
files. They get generic error "Cannot open specified file" when clicking on
the hyperlink. These people can reach the hyperlinked files using MS
Explorer, but not throught Excel.

How set up folder and hyperlinks in Excel file so everyone can open
hyperlinked files.
--
Richard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Are you sure the hyperlinks still point to the correct location?

You may want to check that, then change the hyperlink base to C:\ (or
\\doesnt\exist) so that excel doesn't try to fix them.

ps. I always like using the =hyperlink() worksheet function. It seems better
behaved to me.

Richard wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dave,
Location is accurate because it works for some people.
Regards hyperlink function, that's how I did populate the cells.
--
Richard

Richard wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't think that the links created by the =hyperlink() worksheet function even
look at that hyperlink base.

I think you'll have to include the path in that =hyperlink() formula.

Richard wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dave,
I beleive this is a network folder share problem, and have put a call into
our IT department.
Some people can use Explorer to see the folder and files, but can't opent
them.

Thanks for your info on hyperlink function. It should allow me to fix
problem after IT handles sharing problems.
--
Richard