Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Function to sum same cell in several worksheets

Is there a function that will add the values of the same cell in several
worksheets?

Suppose I have 52 worskheets (one for each week in the year) and I want
to add the values in cell D3 on each and place the result in another
worksheet, is there a function that will save me having to type

='Sheet1'!D3+'Sheet2'!D3+'Sheet3'!D3+'Sheet4'!D3+' Sheet5'!D3+'Sheet6'!D3+'Sheet7'!D3
and so on?

I tried =SUM('Sheet1'!D3:'Sheet52'!D3) but it looks as though the result
is the sum of a block of cells spanning the 52 sheets.

What I am after is something like =SUM('Sheet1'!:'Sheet52'!,D3).

--
Stephen White )

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I just asked a similar question that might be helpful:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...&cr=&sloc=&p=1

If you take that solution and reserve one cell for each sheet, you can
easily incorporate the values into a list on one 'summary' sheet. from there
you can SUM them as normal.

There may be a neater solution, but I believe this'll work.

"Stephen White" wrote:

Is there a function that will add the values of the same cell in several
worksheets?

Suppose I have 52 worskheets (one for each week in the year) and I want
to add the values in cell D3 on each and place the result in another
worksheet, is there a function that will save me having to type

='Sheet1'!D3+'Sheet2'!D3+'Sheet3'!D3+'Sheet4'!D3+' Sheet5'!D3+'Sheet6'!D3+'Sheet7'!D3
and so on?

I tried =SUM('Sheet1'!D3:'Sheet52'!D3) but it looks as though the result
is the sum of a block of cells spanning the 52 sheets.

What I am after is something like =SUM('Sheet1'!:'Sheet52'!,D3).

--
Stephen White )

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=SUM(Sheet1:Sheet52!,D3)
or
=SUM('Sheet1:Sheet52'!,D3)
--
David Biddulph

"Stephen White" wrote in message

Is there a function that will add the values of the same cell in several
worksheets?

Suppose I have 52 worskheets (one for each week in the year) and I want to
add the values in cell D3 on each and place the result in another
worksheet, is there a function that will save me having to type

='Sheet1'!D3+'Sheet2'!D3+'Sheet3'!D3+'Sheet4'!D3+' Sheet5'!D3+'Sheet6'!D3+'Sheet7'!D3
and so on?

I tried =SUM('Sheet1'!D3:'Sheet52'!D3) but it looks as though the result
is the sum of a block of cells spanning the 52 sheets.

What I am after is something like =SUM('Sheet1'!:'Sheet52'!,D3).

--
Stephen White )

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think that David meant to also remove the extraneous comma you had placed
in your formula

=SUM(sheet1:Sheet3!D3)
or
=SUM('Sheet1:Sheet52'!D3)
--
Regards
Roger Govier

"David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk wrote in message
=SUM(Sheet1:Sheet52!,D3)
or
=SUM('Sheet1:Sheet52'!,D3)
--
David Biddulph

"Stephen White" wrote in message

Is there a function that will add the values of the same cell in several
worksheets?

Suppose I have 52 worskheets (one for each week in the year) and I want
to add the values in cell D3 on each and place the result in another
worksheet, is there a function that will save me having to type

='Sheet1'!D3+'Sheet2'!D3+'Sheet3'!D3+'Sheet4'!D3+' Sheet5'!D3+'Sheet6'!D3+'Sheet7'!D3
and so on?

I tried =SUM('Sheet1'!D3:'Sheet52'!D3) but it looks as though the result
is the sum of a block of cells spanning the 52 sheets.

What I am after is something like =SUM('Sheet1'!:'Sheet52'!,D3).

--
Stephen White )

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Many thanks to mattjdohm, David and Roger.

I had begun to think that a summary sheet was part of the answer but
then David and Roger told me the syntax for the SUM function.

I couldn't quite believe that the SUM function would not do the trick.

Many thanks again.

In article , David Biddulph
<groups@[at] writes