Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old July 10th 08, 03:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Feb 2007
Posts: 40
Default How to spill over into a "" cell?

I'm building a horizontal flexible calendar, a couple of months next to each
other, the start date being an input variable eg 28/06/2008.

The column width is just enough to display the DAY.

Row 1 has the dates starting with "input variable" (this row will be hidden
in the final presentation)

Row 2 if day = 1 display the month / year eg "July 2008". I use
=if(day(A1)=1,text(A1,"mmmm yyyy"),""), copied across all columns

Row 3 has the days eg 28 29 30 01 02 03 (=A1, formatted "dd")

The problem is in row 2: the column width is too narrow to display "July
2008". I would like this to spill over into following columns; however that
does not happen, because the column of day 02 contains a "", not a true empty
cell.

  #2   Report Post  
Old July 10th 08, 03:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 22,909
Default How to spill over into a "" cell?

You cannot spill text over if the adjacent cell has anything in it.

Re-design.


Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP


On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 07:07:02 -0700, Michael R
wrote:

I'm building a horizontal flexible calendar, a couple of months next to each
other, the start date being an input variable eg 28/06/2008.

The column width is just enough to display the DAY.

Row 1 has the dates starting with "input variable" (this row will be hidden
in the final presentation)

Row 2 if day = 1 display the month / year eg "July 2008". I use
=if(day(A1)=1,text(A1,"mmmm yyyy"),""), copied across all columns

Row 3 has the days eg 28 29 30 01 02 03 (=A1, formatted "dd")

The problem is in row 2: the column width is too narrow to display "July
2008". I would like this to spill over into following columns; however that
does not happen, because the column of day 02 contains a "", not a true empty
cell.


  #3   Report Post  
Old July 10th 08, 06:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Jun 2007
Posts: 348
Default How to spill over into a "" cell?

Gord Dibben wrote:
You cannot spill text over if the adjacent cell has anything in it.

Re-design.


Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP


On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 07:07:02 -0700, Michael R
wrote:

I'm building a horizontal flexible calendar, a couple of months next to each
other, the start date being an input variable eg 28/06/2008.

The column width is just enough to display the DAY.

Row 1 has the dates starting with "input variable" (this row will be hidden
in the final presentation)

Row 2 if day = 1 display the month / year eg "July 2008". I use
=if(day(A1)=1,text(A1,"mmmm yyyy"),""), copied across all columns

Row 3 has the days eg 28 29 30 01 02 03 (=A1, formatted "dd")

The problem is in row 2: the column width is too narrow to display "July
2008". I would like this to spill over into following columns; however that
does not happen, because the column of day 02 contains a "", not a true empty
cell.


Gord is right.
Some suggestions:
Slightly wider column?
Smaller font size?
Use "Arial Narrow" font?

Bill
  #4   Report Post  
Old July 11th 08, 09:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Feb 2007
Posts: 40
Default How to spill over into a "" cell?

Thanks, Gord and Bill for your explanations and suggestions.

My current work-around:
across the whole row (row 2 in my below exlpanation)
=MID(TEXT(U3,"mmmm yyyy"),DAY(U3),1)
where U3 is one of the cells holding a date

It is not as "beautifully" formatted as it would have been in one single
cell with proportional font but still acceptable.

"Bill Sharpe" wrote:

Gord Dibben wrote:
You cannot spill text over if the adjacent cell has anything in it.

Re-design.


Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP


On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 07:07:02 -0700, Michael R
wrote:

I'm building a horizontal flexible calendar, a couple of months next to each
other, the start date being an input variable eg 28/06/2008.

The column width is just enough to display the DAY.

Row 1 has the dates starting with "input variable" (this row will be hidden
in the final presentation)

Row 2 if day = 1 display the month / year eg "July 2008". I use
=if(day(A1)=1,text(A1,"mmmm yyyy"),""), copied across all columns

Row 3 has the days eg 28 29 30 01 02 03 (=A1, formatted "dd")

The problem is in row 2: the column width is too narrow to display "July
2008". I would like this to spill over into following columns; however that
does not happen, because the column of day 02 contains a "", not a true empty
cell.


Gord is right.
Some suggestions:
Slightly wider column?
Smaller font size?
Use "Arial Narrow" font?

Bill



Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"CELL("FILENAME") NOT UPDATE AFTER "SAVE AS" ACTION yossie6 Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 June 16th 08 12:16 PM
change "true" and "false" to "availble" and "out of stock" inthestands Excel Worksheet Functions 2 July 19th 07 07:05 PM
Help!!! Enter "7" in a cell and Excel changes the "7" to "11" immediately!!! [email protected] Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 3 January 5th 07 02:18 PM
Count occurences of "1"/"0" (or"TRUE"/"FALSE") in a row w. conditions in the next BCB New Users to Excel 7 May 13th 06 10:02 PM
Complex if test program possible? If "value" "value", paste "value" in another cell? jseabold Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 January 30th 06 10:01 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 ExcelBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Microsoft Excel"

 

Copyright © 2017