Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Data Validation

Using the list option, I have six entries that are separated by commas
entered in the data validation source box. These work fine. How to I add a
blank space as the first choice on the dropdown list?

Thanks

Kevin
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Don Don is offline

can you create a list? I usualy have on another sheet select a range and
name the range , then in the Data validation, do list and "=rangename"

I did see where if you do list and even put a space and comma then the
items, it does not show a blank first , but the way above does.

"wild turkey no9" wrote:

Using the list option, I have six entries that are separated by commas
entered in the data validation source box. These work fine. How to I add a
blank space as the first choice on the dropdown list?

Thanks

Kevin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Don Don is offline

I usualy have all my lists on another page. select the range and name the
range. Then on the location you want a drop down, choose data / validation
and list and =rangename

I did see where when you do a data / validation and put a blank then comma
then the list, it does not show the blank. above will work or put a "."
first?

"wild turkey no9" wrote:

Using the list option, I have six entries that are separated by commas
entered in the data validation source box. These work fine. How to I add a
blank space as the first choice on the dropdown list?

Thanks

Kevin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Don

Good thoughts. I was aware of using separate lists, but for this sheet I
wanted to define the list as users may add or delete rows. Just cannot figure
out how to add a blank option this way.....

"wild turkey no9" wrote:

Using the list option, I have six entries that are separated by commas
entered in the data validation source box. These work fine. How to I add a
blank space as the first choice on the dropdown list?

Thanks

Kevin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I also think that your best bet is to create a list. You can create a
separate worksheet, put the list on the new sheet and hide that sheet. One
caveat is in the syntax for the validation list source. Here's something I
picked up quite some time ago to help me remember the syntax...

'/===================================/
' Data Validation using a List from another worksheet or workbook

' Using a List from
' On the Data Validation form,
' on the Settings tab,
' In the Validation Criteria area,
' In the 'Allow' dropdown,
' Select 'LIST'
' When the List is in ANOTHER WORKSHEET in the same workbook:
' The syntax in the 'SOURCE' RefEdit box should be
' something like...
' =INDIRECT("'Sheet2'!A1:A5")
'
' When the List is in a WORKSHEET in another WORKBOOK:
' The syntax in the 'SOURCE' RefEdit box should be
' something like...
' =INDIRECT("'C:\Temp\[Test.xls]Sheet2'!A1:A5")
'
'/===================================/

--
Hope this helps.
If this post was helpfull, please remember to click on the ''''YES''''

"wild turkey no9" wrote:

Using the list option, I have six entries that are separated by commas
entered in the data validation source box. These work fine. How to I add a
blank space as the first choice on the dropdown list?

Thanks

Kevin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Rob,

please check your system date - you seem to be a day ahead of the rest of
us.

Pete

"Rob L" wrote in message
u...
What you can do is put a ',",^ etc as the first option - so your list is
',A,B,C,D. The first option shows up as ' but when chosen is a blank cell
(well essentially...)

Rob L

"wild turkey no9" wrote in
message ...

"wild turkey no9" wrote:

Using the list option, I have six entries that are separated by commas
entered in the data validation source box. These work fine. How to I
add a
blank space as the first choice on the dropdown list?

Thanks

Kevin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Check your timezone.

Rob L wrote:

Far North Queensland Mate ! We're ahead of EVERYONE !

Rob L
(just checked, and the date and time are correct)

"Don" wrote:

I usualy have all my lists on another page. select the range and name
the
range. Then on the location you want a drop down, choose data /
validation
and list and =rangename

I did see where when you do a data / validation and put a blank then
comma
then the list, it does not show the blank. above will work or put a
"."
first?

"wild turkey no9" wrote:

Using the list option, I have six entries that are separated by
commas
entered in the data validation source box. These work fine. How to I
add a
blank space as the first choice on the dropdown list?

Thanks

Kevin

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Nope. Not yet.

Rob L wrote:

Better now ?

Actually what they say is "Welcome to Queensland. Turn your watch back 10
years..."

Rob L

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
Check your timezone.

"wild turkey no9" wrote:

Using the list option, I have six entries that are separated by
commas
entered in the data validation source box. These work fine. How to
add a
blank space as the first choice on the dropdown list?

Thanks

Kevin

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It sure looks like it.

You post looks about 48 minutes (plus or minus a couple of minutes) from this
response.

(woohoo. <vbg)

Now ?