Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Selecting a cell for fill-in by previous cells

I have values entered into a column. In the next columns over I'd like to be
able to simply enter X or another marking value so that the numbers from that
row carry over without me having to enter in the number every time I want to
use it.

Example:
A B C D
1 X X
2 X X
3 X X X
4 X

So that either the X's turn into the numbers from column A or when I sum the
values at the bottom of columns B, C, and D they add up to 6, 5, and 8
respectively. Any help?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You could write some code to copy over the numbers where you enter the Xs,
but the formula to do the addition is far easier. At the end of column B,
for example: =sumif($A$1:$A4,"X",B$1:B4). In words, look for 'X' in column A
and add up the corresponding values from column B.

"Carrie" wrote:

I have values entered into a column. In the next columns over I'd like to be
able to simply enter X or another marking value so that the numbers from that
row carry over without me having to enter in the number every time I want to
use it.

Example:
A B C D
1 X X
2 X X
3 X X X
4 X

So that either the X's turn into the numbers from column A or when I sum the
values at the bottom of columns B, C, and D they add up to 6, 5, and 8
respectively. Any help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this worsheet event macro:

Set r = Range("B:D")
If Intersect(Target, r) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
Application.EnableEvents = False
Target.Value = Cells(Target.Row, "A").Value
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

Because it is worksheet code, it is very easy to install and use:

1. right-click the tab name near the bottom of the window
2. select View Code - this brings up a VBE window
3. paste the stuff in and close the VBE window

If you save the workbook, the macro will be saved with it.

To remove the macro:

1. bring up the VBE windows as above
2. clear the code out
3. close the VBE window

To learn more about macros in general, see:

To learn more about Event Macros (worksheet code), see:

Gary''s Student - gsnu200794