Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default vlookup not giving correct output

Pete_UK wrote:

You need to amend your formula like so:

=VLOOKUP(A1;$A$1:$B$4;1;0)

The zero at the end (or it could be FALSE) tells XL to look for an
exact match. If it is missing, then the table being looked up need to
be sorted, and your's isn't.

Hope this helps.

Sorry for the late reply. It does. thanks. I thought that leaving it out
would automaticaly make it FALSE or 0.

houghi
--
Quote correct (NL) http://www.briachons.org/art/quote/
Zitiere richtig (DE) http://www.afaik.de/usenet/faq/zitieren
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for feeding back - glad it worked for you.

If you omit the 4th parameter then it defaults to TRUE, meaning that
the source data is expected to be sorted. (Behind the scenes, XL can
carry out a faster binary search for an item if the list is sorted,
but if it isn't then it has to carry a sequential search which can be
a lot slower. I've never understood, though, why there isn't an option
to say that you want an exact search AND the data is sorted, so that a
binary search can be carried out internally)

Pete

On Jul 3, 3:21*pm, houghi wrote:
Pete_UK wrote:

You need to amend your formula like so:

=VLOOKUP(A1;$A$1:$B$4;1;0)

The zero at the end (or it could be FALSE) tells XL to look for an
exact match. If it is missing, then the table being looked up need to
be sorted, and your's isn't.

Hope this helps.

Sorry for the late reply. It does. thanks. I thought that leaving it out
would automaticaly make it FALSE or 0.

houghi
--
Quote correct * (NL)http://www.briachons.org/art/quote/
Zitiere richtig (DE)http://www.afaik.de/usenet/faq/zitieren
Quote correctly (EN)http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Pete_UK wrote:

Thanks for feeding back - glad it worked for you.

If you omit the 4th parameter then it defaults to TRUE,

Strange. I would think things to be FALSE more logical, especialy when
FALSE == 0
To me 0 is always the default. :-/

houghi
--
Quote correct (NL) http://www.briachons.org/art/quote/
Zitiere richtig (DE) http://www.afaik.de/usenet/faq/zitieren
Quote correctly (EN) http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think it goes back to Lotus 123 days.

Their =vlookup() doesn't have a 4th parameter (IIRC) and in excel, the 123
version would use True (or not specified).

So if MS wanted to be consistent with 123, then they have to make it work like
123--even if MS did enhance =vlookup() with the 4th parameter.

houghi wrote:

Pete_UK wrote:

Thanks for feeding back - glad it worked for you.

If you omit the 4th parameter then it defaults to TRUE,

Strange. I would think things to be FALSE more logical, especialy when
FALSE == 0
To me 0 is always the default. :-/

houghi
--