Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Pasted values that paste as "number stored as text"

I am copying numeric information that is a formula and dropping it onto a
part of the spreadsheet that is pre-formatted. When I paste I do a paste
special / values but it is pasting the results as text, I have to then go and
change the result "text stored as a number" to "convert to number."

I tried to paste special / values and number formats but it still pastes as
text . . . is there any known way to shortcut the step? I have formatted the
formula data (what I'm copying) as a number but it still pastes as text.

Thx!

mm
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

2 things:
1 - confirm the value you're copying is formatted as something other than
text;
2 - why bother with paste special? Just Paste.

"smartgal" wrote:

I am copying numeric information that is a formula and dropping it onto a
part of the spreadsheet that is pre-formatted. When I paste I do a paste
special / values but it is pasting the results as text, I have to then go and
change the result "text stored as a number" to "convert to number."

I tried to paste special / values and number formats but it still pastes as
text . . . is there any known way to shortcut the step? I have formatted the
formula data (what I'm copying) as a number but it still pastes as text.

Thx!

mm

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

it's more than a bit convoluted but here goes:

1. I'm copying table data from a website and when I paste it in excel it
has an extra space character at the end of each number . . .

2. So when I paste it, I have a replica of the data that reads what I just
pasted and has a formula that removes the space. This is the data I am
copying . . .

3. So from here I copy and paste as a value in *another* column of replicas
that are formatted how the data should look (font, size, etc) . . .

4. This third replica, what I'm trying to get to "auto-format" as a number
(rather than as a number stored as text) is what is pasted into a StarOffice
spreadsheet, which my client insists upon using.

Clear as mud?? Yeah, me too . . . :-)

"smartgal" wrote:

I am copying numeric information that is a formula and dropping it onto a
part of the spreadsheet that is pre-formatted. When I paste I do a paste
special / values but it is pasting the results as text, I have to then go and
change the result "text stored as a number" to "convert to number."

I tried to paste special / values and number formats but it still pastes as
text . . . is there any known way to shortcut the step? I have formatted the
formula data (what I'm copying) as a number but it still pastes as text.

Thx!

mm

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What formula(s) do you have in step 2 to remove the space? If it
involves TRIM, or SUBSTITUTE, or LEFT or RIGHT you will actually be
returning a text value, and so that propagates through your other
steps. You might need to just add *1 to your formulae in step 2 to
convert to a number at that point.

Hope this helps.

Pete