JLaw

Default How do I fix Text entries in Excel that get cut off?

When creating notes for my first year law studies, I have come to make simple
spreadsheets in Excel in which I enter my brief notes about the cases. I have
the cell format set to "general", with the wrap text feature checked, but
Excel seems to "hide" half of the text. It will show the first part, but not
the other half in the cell. It is there if I select the cell, but does not
appear in the print preview. How can I fix this problem?
Ken Stratford

"JLaw" wrote:

When creating notes for my first year law studies, I have come to make simple
spreadsheets in Excel in which I enter my brief notes about the cases. I have
the cell format set to "general", with the wrap text feature checked, but
Excel seems to "hide" half of the text. It will show the first part, but not
the other half in the cell. It is there if I select the cell, but does not
appear in the print preview. How can I fix this problem?

The Excel specification is that only 1024 characters will display on the
worksheet and print. Are you using the worksheet to carry out calculations or
sorting/filtering? If not, see if you can do the job more easily in Word .
Dave Peterson

By adding lots of alt-enters (to force new lines within the cell), you can see
lots more than the documented 1024 characters.

But you may want to consider using a table in MSWord. You can make it look like
cells in excel, but you'll have all the power of a real word processor to use
(grammar checks??).

In fact, you may want to try just copying your excel range to MSWord to see if
you have to fix much.

--

Dave Peterson