Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Ranking Without Skipping Ranks When a Tie Occurs

Hi, I'm having trouble with the RANK function. I need to find a formula that
will give me sequential ranking for a range of values without skipping ranks
after a duplicate occurs. It needs to return 1 for the LARGEST value in the
range.{20,30,30,40,40,50} should get ranked as {4,3,3,2,2,1}. I found this
in another post:

SUMPRODUCT(--(results1[[#This Row],[Total Weight]][Total
Weight]),1/COUNTIF([Total Weight],[Total Weight]))+1

This almost works, but it returns a rank of 1 for the lowest value in the
range instead of the highest. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Oops. The formula that Biff provided in another post was actually:

SUMPRODUCT(--(A2A$2:A$6),1/COUNTIF(A$2:A$6,A$2:A$6&""))+1

.... the one below has my crazy references in it. Feel free to reply with a
formula like the one above instead.

"sirkevinthegeek" wrote:

Hi, I'm having trouble with the RANK function. I need to find a formula that
will give me sequential ranking for a range of values without skipping ranks
after a duplicate occurs. It needs to return 1 for the LARGEST value in the
range.{20,30,30,40,40,50} should get ranked as {4,3,3,2,2,1}. I found this
in another post:

SUMPRODUCT(--(results1[[#This Row],[Total Weight]][Total
Weight]),1/COUNTIF([Total Weight],[Total Weight]))+1

This almost works, but it returns a rank of 1 for the lowest value in the
range instead of the highest. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It needs to return 1 for the LARGEST value

Just replace the greater than operator () with less than operator (<).

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"sirkevinthegeek" wrote in
message ...

"sirkevinthegeek" wrote:

Hi, I'm having trouble with the RANK function. I need to find a formula
that
will give me sequential ranking for a range of values without skipping
ranks
after a duplicate occurs. It needs to return 1 for the LARGEST value in
the
range.{20,30,30,40,40,50} should get ranked as {4,3,3,2,2,1}. I found
this
in another post:

SUMPRODUCT(--(results1[[#This Row],[Total Weight]][Total
Weight]),1/COUNTIF([Total Weight],[Total Weight]))+1

This almost works, but it returns a rank of 1 for the lowest value in the
range instead of the highest. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"sirkevinthegeek" wrote in
message ...
I could've sworn I had tried that, but voila. You're the man, Biff.