Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old June 17th 08, 04:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Sep 2006
Posts: 22
Default How to plot a normal distribution - Bell curve

I have the daily volatility of Brent crude over the last year. So my column
A is the date, and column B is the volatility. I have around 300 datapoints.

I want to fit these datapoints in a normal distribution plot to see the
"Bell curve" shape.
How can I do this?
--
Thanks
Sebastien

  #2   Report Post  
Old June 17th 08, 04:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Apr 2008
Posts: 79
Default How to plot a normal distribution - Bell curve

Have a look he

http://www.statsoft.com/textbook/std...tml#log-normal

edvwvw





Sebastien wrote:
I have the daily volatility of Brent crude over the last year. So my column
A is the date, and column B is the volatility. I have around 300 datapoints.

I want to fit these datapoints in a normal distribution plot to see the
"Bell curve" shape.
How can I do this?


--
Message posted via OfficeKB.com
http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.a...excel/200806/1

  #3   Report Post  
Old June 17th 08, 04:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Sep 2006
Posts: 22
Default How to plot a normal distribution - Bell curve

This is good theory, but I would like to have a formula in Excel. Is there a
function or a n easy way ot generate the normal distribution chart?
--
Thanks
Sebastien


"edvwvw via OfficeKB.com" wrote:

Have a look he

http://www.statsoft.com/textbook/std...tml#log-normal

edvwvw





Sebastien wrote:
I have the daily volatility of Brent crude over the last year. So my column
A is the date, and column B is the volatility. I have around 300 datapoints.

I want to fit these datapoints in a normal distribution plot to see the
"Bell curve" shape.
How can I do this?


--
Message posted via OfficeKB.com
http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.a...excel/200806/1


  #4   Report Post  
Old June 17th 08, 04:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 9,101
Default How to plot a normal distribution - Bell curve

1) Get the mean using the average function of your data
2) Get the standard deviation of your data using stdev function
3) Add new column with normal() function
a) column B will be the first parameter X.
b) Average will be the mean
c) Standard Dev is from 2 above
d) cumulative will be FALSE.

4) Plot columns b and c as a scatter plot.

NORMDIST(x,mean,standard_dev,cumulative)



"edvwvw via OfficeKB.com" wrote:

Have a look he

http://www.statsoft.com/textbook/std...tml#log-normal

edvwvw





Sebastien wrote:
I have the daily volatility of Brent crude over the last year. So my column
A is the date, and column B is the volatility. I have around 300 datapoints.

I want to fit these datapoints in a normal distribution plot to see the
"Bell curve" shape.
How can I do this?


--
Message posted via OfficeKB.com
http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.a...excel/200806/1


  #5   Report Post  
Old June 17th 08, 04:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Apr 2008
Posts: 79
Default How to plot a normal distribution - Bell curve

It will take more than a formula to generate the curve. The link below takes
you to a Microsoft guide which should be helpful

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/213930

edvwvw

Sebastien wrote:
This is good theory, but I would like to have a formula in Excel. Is there a
function or a n easy way ot generate the normal distribution chart?
Have a look he

[quoted text clipped - 8 lines]
"Bell curve" shape.
How can I do this?


--
Message posted via OfficeKB.com
http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.a...excel/200806/1



  #6   Report Post  
Old June 17th 08, 05:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Sep 2006
Posts: 22
Default How to plot a normal distribution - Bell curve

Thanks, that works fine for the Bell shape curve, the X axis shows my
volatility data. The only problem is that the Y axis in the chart is the
Normdist() function number (so always less than zero). I would like to have
the number of occurence "N" of the data. Is this easy to get?
--
Thanks
Sebastien


"Joel" wrote:

1) Get the mean using the average function of your data
2) Get the standard deviation of your data using stdev function
3) Add new column with normal() function
a) column B will be the first parameter X.
b) Average will be the mean
c) Standard Dev is from 2 above
d) cumulative will be FALSE.

4) Plot columns b and c as a scatter plot.

NORMDIST(x,mean,standard_dev,cumulative)



"edvwvw via OfficeKB.com" wrote:

Have a look he

http://www.statsoft.com/textbook/std...tml#log-normal

edvwvw





Sebastien wrote:
I have the daily volatility of Brent crude over the last year. So my column
A is the date, and column B is the volatility. I have around 300 datapoints.

I want to fit these datapoints in a normal distribution plot to see the
"Bell curve" shape.
How can I do this?


--
Message posted via OfficeKB.com
http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.a...excel/200806/1


  #7   Report Post  
Old June 17th 08, 07:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 762
Default How to plot a normal distribution - Bell curve

Sebastien -

You mention "300 datapoints" and "Bell curve."

Usually, you first determine a frequency distribution and histogram (column
chart of the frequency distribution, with value ranges on the horizontal
axis and frequency "count" on the vertical axis).

Second, you might want to see if the frequency distribution is approximately
like a normal distribution.

For the frequecy distribution and histogram, you can use the Histogram tool
of Excel's Analysis ToolPak (check Excel's built-in Help). Or, you could use
my free Better Histogram add-in, available from the Histogram page at
www.treeplan.com.

It's also possible to add a normal curve to a histogram. An example workbook
(but without step-by-step instructions) is available in the Excel Examples
section of the home page at www.MikeMiddleton.com.

- Mike Middleton
http://www.DecisionToolworks.com
Decision Analysis Add-ins for Excel



"Sebastien" wrote in message
...
I have the daily volatility of Brent crude over the last year. So my
column
A is the date, and column B is the volatility. I have around 300
datapoints.

I want to fit these datapoints in a normal distribution plot to see the
"Bell curve" shape.
How can I do this?
--
Thanks
Sebastien





Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to graph normal distribution curve GH Charts and Charting in Excel 1 August 25th 06 09:03 AM
Chart, draw Normal Distribution curve Khoshravan Setting up and Configuration of Excel 0 June 26th 06 01:17 AM
normal distribution curve Chris Treanor Charts and Charting in Excel 1 September 29th 05 03:33 AM
Plotting normal distribution curve Ali Baba Charts and Charting in Excel 4 August 15th 05 08:11 PM
bell-shape normal distribution curve SM Charts and Charting in Excel 6 December 11th 04 08:29 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 ExcelBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Microsoft Excel"

 

Copyright © 2017