Jay

Default Hide column based on data value

I use auto-filter to switch a spreadsheet between a terse view and verbose
view. Column B is auto-filtered, and it's either blank or non-blank. Call
it a "tag column." Some column B cells have constants; others, formulas. It
works fine.

Can the same effect be achieved somehow to hide columns rather than rows?
I'd like one row to be a "tag row." Then, I'd like to switch between terse
view and verbose view by hiding columns based on what's in the tag row for
each column. Can you suggest an easy way to do this without VBA?

The "custom views" feature doesn't quite help because groups of columns get
added and removed from time to time and it's inconvenient to update the
custom views each time that happens.

(I have Excel 97.)

Thanks.
Dave Peterson

If you outlaw both custom view and VBA, I'm gonna bet you don't get a good
answer. (But I've been wrong before.)

(Your post looked lonely and needed a response!)

--

Dave Peterson

merge data from multiple columns to single column triggerthehorse Excel Worksheet Functions 2 January 17th 05 07:19 PM
Matching data in one column to another excel idiot Excel Worksheet Functions 1 January 14th 05 02:15 PM
hide column varun New Users to Excel 1 December 3rd 04 02:13 AM
How can I sort an entire spreadsheet from a list prod sorter Excel Worksheet Functions 4 November 17th 04 03:43 AM
getting data from 2 excel sheets automatically pinar Excel Worksheet Functions 0 November 9th 04 11:47 AM