Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Column Comparison and Like Rows

Hello I need some Help. I have looked around and have found somewhat similar
answers to what I need but can't quite get what I want. It is fairly simple.
I have 2 columns with project numbers. They look as so

18212 18212
18331 18212
18340 18331
18374 18340
18410 18374
18420 18427 <--- Note the missing 18410 + 18420
18427 18427
18478 18427
18484 18427

Basically one is longer than the other and I need to make these columns
identical without loosing any of the data. I want to insert a cell where the
two are different and copy the proj number into it. Most of the work will be
done on the left column to match the right BUT THERE ARE SOME IN THE LEFT
THAT DONT EXISIT IN THE RIGHT. If cells are already matched then skip and
check the next 2.

PLEASE HELP (Nobody has answered any of my other posts)
Thanks, Jeff.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
M-A M-A is offline

Tom,

I notice that this message has been here a few days without reply, and that
you haven't received a reply to others, so I hope you take my comment as
constructive.

I'm afraid I can't work out what it is that you are trying to do. Even when
you say 'note the missing 18410 and 18420' - are we supposed to be able to
see a pattern here to see that these are 'missing'? At first I thought that
the second column was the first column shifted (e.g. B2=A1), but that doesn't
seem to match.

Is there a way you could word this differently? Here are some suggestions,
and notes where I'm getting confused:
- What is the real world use for this information?
- Are the data in the two columns related in some way?
- When you say you need to make the columns identical - why? (if they
needed to be identical would you have a formula in the second coumn to copy
the first? How could they get out of sync in the first place)
- When you say that if the values are different you want to have a 3rd cell
to copy 'the project number into it'. However, your intro suggests both
columns are project numbers so which number is supposed to be in the third
column?
- do you really want the third column or is this an idea you have had to
flag up problem entries? (e.g. would making the text appear in red be
equally useful, or does it REALLY need to be a third column? If you explain
why it may help people see what you are trying to achieve)

Hopefully if you can provide more detail on how you want to use this, then
someone can give you an answer of how to do it.

M-A