Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Sumif criteria

In the criteria section of the Sumif formula if I reference a date (ex.
"<A3") I do not get the correct answer but if I in put the serial number of
that date (ex."<39251") I do get the correct response. Why is this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
the sumif formual is looking for what is between the double quotes literally
and the cell does not contain A3. write your formula criteria more like
this....
=sumif(search range,"<"&A3, sum range)
the ampersand concatinates the less than sign and the value in A3.

Regards
FSt1

"Louis Zaffino" wrote:

In the criteria section of the Sumif formula if I reference a date (ex.
"<A3") I do not get the correct answer but if I in put the serial number of
that date (ex."<39251") I do get the correct response. Why is this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Use this instead...

"<"&A3
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"Louis Zaffino"
wrote in message
In the criteria section of the Sumif formula if I reference a date (ex.
"<A3") I do not get the correct answer but if I in put the serial number of
that date (ex."<39251") I do get the correct response. Why is this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you very much for helping with criteria portion of the Sumif function.

"Jim Cone" wrote:

Use this instead...

"<"&A3