Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Sorting a date by month, date and then year.

I have a list that I exported to Excel that has a name and date of birth
(only 2 columns). I want to sort the list by month, dated and then year.
When I try sorting the list, it always sorts by the year. Do I have to put
in some sort of function to make is sort this way?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Use helper columns, such as =MONTH(A2), =DAY(A2), =YEAR(A2)
Select the whole range including original data and helper columns, then sort
by the helper columns in your chosen order.
--
David Biddulph

"drosh" wrote in message
I have a list that I exported to Excel that has a name and date of birth
(only 2 columns). I want to sort the list by month, dated and then year.
When I try sorting the list, it always sorts by the year. Do I have to
put
in some sort of function to make is sort this way?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
you could use 2 helper columns to the right of the data.
assumming the date is in column a....
in the first helper column you could put =month(A2).copy down
this would give you the mouth number of the date
in the second helper column you couldput =year(a2). copy down
this ould give you the year of the date.
you could then sort by the month column then by year.

when finished, delete the helper columns.

Regards
FSt1

"drosh" wrote:

I have a list that I exported to Excel that has a name and date of birth
(only 2 columns). I want to sort the list by month, dated and then year.
When I try sorting the list, it always sorts by the year. Do I have to put
in some sort of function to make is sort this way?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you have lots of data

Also consider using FILTER

In Excel 07 it with AUTO FILTER it has some default options to choose months
when you go into CUSTOM . Click on the arrows on the title cells.