Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default COUNTIF and wildcards

Hi again,

I have a stats sheet that currently looks at another worksheet and uses
COUNTIF functions to total up certain categories. I've run into a problem
with the following:

Under "Field Goals Made" I was hoping to use the following:

=COUNTIF(PbyPQ1!$A$3:$A$150,"Matt Penkala - Jump Shot:Made")

Problem is, the sheet that this formula gets the data from (PbyPQ1) varies
in the wording. If that is the first basket Matt Penkala made then it show's
like this:

Matt Penkala - Jump Shot:Made [2 PTS]

Next would be:

Matt Penkala - Jump Shot:Made [4 PTS]

So I only want to search the first part (Matt Penkala - Jump Shot:Made). I
keep track of the points in another section so I don't need it here. I've
read through some old posts and it seems like I need to use the LEFT
function, just not sure how.

Thanks!
Matt

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can use wildcard characters in COUNTIF, so try it like this:

=COUNTIF(PbyPQ1!$A$3:$A$150,"Matt Penkala - Jump Shot:Made*")

No need for LEFT.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On May 29, 1:10*am, mpenkala
wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Glad to hear that, Matt - thanks for feeding back.

Pete