Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DC DC is offline

Default How do I correct an incorrect total from a simple formula?

I have a simple formula multiplying two cells and the ouput is incorrect. Why
is this happening?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You are likely not looking at or considering the "whole" content of the
2 cells being multiplied. Look at the complete values, not the rounded
or truncated displayed values.

DC wrote:
I have a simple formula multiplying two cells and the ouput is incorrect. Why
is this happening?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DC DC is offline

Thanks for the reply. The output I am receiving is "1,558,523" while the
correct answer is "1,560,117" to the formula "4251*367". Am I missing
something?

DC wrote:
I have a simple formula multiplying two cells and the ouput is incorrect. Why
is this happening?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I agree with bob.
excel can truncate values in a display, but use the actual number for a
calculation.
For example:

we all know 4*3=12
but 4.4*3.4=14.96
If excel is not displaying the decimal points this would look like
4*3=15

for your numbers,
4251.290235*366.6=1558523
but excel might display
4251*367=1558523

DC wrote:
I have a simple formula multiplying two cells and the ouput is incorrect. Why
is this happening?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You said you are multiplying TWO cells. The "formula" is not "4251*367"
but a cell address times a cell address. What are the true contents of
those cells? Look in each cell by selecting them and seeing what it
really in them by looking at the formula bar. There will be the "why".