Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Summing first 2 characters of a cell (some non-numeric)

Hi there,

I am trying to sum the first 2 characters of a cell which works fine when
they are all numeric but when one isn't it falls over

The data:
12 hours 0 mins
Pending
4 hours 0 mins
8 hours 0 mins

Formula used:
=SUMPRODUCT(--LEFT(AA19:AA22,2))

Which as I said works fine if there's a value instead of pending.

I don't really want to use a holding cell for the values as there is a
chance it could get overwritten by the user (they cut and paste into the
spread sheet)

Is there a way to filter the result of the left to ignore "Pe" (this is the
only possible non numeric value)

Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this array formula

=SUM(IF(ISNUMBER(--LEFT(AA19:AA22,FIND("
",AA19:AA22)-1)),--(LEFT(AA19:AA22,FIND(" ",AA19:AA22)-1))))

as an array formula commit with Ctrl-Shift-Enter

--
---
HTH

Bob

"KidMalicious" wrote in message
Hi there,

I am trying to sum the first 2 characters of a cell which works fine when
they are all numeric but when one isn't it falls over

The data:
12 hours 0 mins
Pending
4 hours 0 mins
8 hours 0 mins

Formula used:
=SUMPRODUCT(--LEFT(AA19:AA22,2))

Which as I said works fine if there's a value instead of pending.

I don't really want to use a holding cell for the values as there is a
chance it could get overwritten by the user (they cut and paste into the
spread sheet)

Is there a way to filter the result of the left to ignore "Pe" (this is
the
only possible non numeric value)

Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That didn't work bob it just evaluates to zero.

but I followed your thinking and just replaced you Find with the number 2
like this

=SUM(IF(ISNUMBER(--LEFT(AA19:AA22,2)),--(LEFT(AA19:AA22,2))))

and it worked perfectly!

thanks a million for all the help

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

lol @ even for me :-)

Yep that worked 100%

again thanks for all the help!

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Glad we resolved that <go

--
---

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Try this array formula

=SUM(IF(ISNUMBER(--LEFT(AA19:AA22,FIND("
",AA19:AA22)-1)),--(LEFT(AA19:AA22,FIND(" ",AA19:AA22)-1))))

as an array formula commit with Ctrl-Shift-Enter

--
---
HTH

Bob

(there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in
my