-   -   Search for matches and then append data (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/186236-search-matches-then-append-data.html)

E. L.

Search for matches and then append data

I've got two Excel sheets containing data about employees. Sheet A is
a complete list, and Sheet B is a shorter list with only employees who
are in a certain job category. I need to compare the two lists--both
have Employee ID numbers as part of the data set. Where Excel finds a
matching ID #, I would like to append the job title that appears in
Sheet B into a blank column on Sheet A.

I'm thinking this could be done with some combo of an IF statement and
VLOOKUP, but I haven't gotten any further than that. Any help would
be greatly appreciated!

Dave Peterson

Search for matches and then append data

Depending on how that table on sheetB is laid out, you could use =vlookup() or
=index(match())

Debra Dalgleish has lots of notes on =vlookup() and =index(match()) he
http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html (for =vlookup())
and
http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions03.html (for =index(match()))
and