Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Another golf handicap question

I would greatly appreciate help with my handicap spreadsheet.

Here's the setup: players listed in column A, scores for 18 weekly games in
columns B (the first week of the season) through S (the last week of the
season). I need a formula that will calculate, for a given player, the
average of his 3 scores (if he only has three scores), or the average of his
four scores (if he only has four scores), or the average of his _most
recent_ five scores (if he has five or more scores). The formula must take
into account that a given player may not play every week. Cells
corresponding to the missed weeks would be empty.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this array formula** :

=IF(COUNT(B2:S2),AVERAGE(IF(COLUMN(B2:S2)=LARGE(I F(B2:S2,COLUMN(B2:S2)),MIN(COUNT(B2:S2),5)),IF(B2: S2,B2:S2))),"")

How do you want to handle decimal returns? Average 88, 87, 82 =
85.666666666667

This version** will round to the nearest whole number:

=IF(COUNT(B2:S2),ROUND(AVERAGE(IF(COLUMN(B2:S2)=L ARGE(IF(B2:S2,COLUMN(B2:S2)),MIN(COUNT(B2:S2),5)), IF(B2:S2,B2:S2))),0),"")

CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just ENTER)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"JoeM" wrote in message
I would greatly appreciate help with my handicap spreadsheet.

Here's the setup: players listed in column A, scores for 18 weekly games
in columns B (the first week of the season) through S (the last week of
the season). I need a formula that will calculate, for a given player,
the average of his 3 scores (if he only has three scores), or the average
of his four scores (if he only has four scores), or the average of his
_most recent_ five scores (if he has five or more scores). The formula
must take into account that a given player may not play every week. Cells
corresponding to the missed weeks would be empty.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This is fantastic - thanks! I will be nesting your formula inside of some
additional calculations and rounding will be the final (outer) calculation.
I have to say, I have read about array formulas but don't really understand
them. Do you know of a web site or other source of information that would
help me to learn how to use them?

Thanks again.

Joe

"JoeM" wrote in message
I would greatly appreciate help with my handicap spreadsheet.

Here's the setup: players listed in column A, scores for 18 weekly games
in columns B (the first week of the season) through S (the last week of
the season). I need a formula that will calculate, for a given player,
the average of his 3 scores (if he only has three scores), or the average
of his four scores (if he only has four scores), or the average of his
_most recent_ five scores (if he has five or more scores). The formula
must take into account that a given player may not play every week.
Cells corresponding to the missed weeks would be empty.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

See this:

http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/ArrayFormulas.aspx

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"JoeM" wrote in message
I would greatly appreciate help with my handicap spreadsheet.

Here's the setup: players listed in column A, scores for 18 weekly
games in columns B (the first week of the season) through S (the last
week of the season). I need a formula that will calculate, for a given
player, the average of his 3 scores (if he only has three scores), or
the average of his four scores (if he only has four scores), or the
average of his _most recent_ five scores (if he has five or more
scores). The formula must take into account that a given player may not
play every week. Cells corresponding to the missed weeks would be empty.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Good deal. Thanks for the feedback!

--