Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Sum

Is there a way to enter a number in a cell (lets say today) Then enter a
number in the same cell (lets say tomorrow) and Excel somehow formulates to
save the first number and add the first number with the second number?

I know this can be done by creating additional rows for the entry cell but I
would like to only enter my data in the one cell.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This can be done but is fraught with danger.

There will be no "paper trail" for error-checking and no way to recover from
errors without starting over.

See John McGimpsey's site for methods.

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/accumulator.html

Having no paper trail is a bit dangerous in my opinion.

I prefer something like this which leaves a paper trail.

'accumulator/summer
On Error GoTo stoppit
Application.EnableEvents = False
If Target.Address = "$J$1" And Target.Value < "" Then
ActiveSheet.Cells(Rows.Count, "K").End(xlUp) _
.Offset(1, 0).Value = Target.Value
End If
stoppit:
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

Enter in K1 =SUM(K2:K1000)

Start pounding numbers into J1

If you make a mistake, delete the last number in column K and reenter in J1

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP