Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kay Kay is offline

Default PIvot Tables 2003 and VLookup

Hi everyone,

I have a pivot table for training records that uses the Emp ID field as the
Page Filter. I want to be able to look up data based on the page filter
choice on another spreadsheet. If I create a tupical VLookup, I get an NA
=VLOOKUP(B4,'Education Info'!A2:$C$400,2,FALSE). GetPivotData Function is
activated, but it does not show that. First of all, can I lookup data from
anoather sheet based on the filter results of the EMP ID field? Second,
should I begin with get pivot data function? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kay Kay is offline

Here is another version of the formula
=VLOOKUP(GETPIVOTDATA("Employee ID",B4),Lookup,2,FALSE).

Hope this clarifies what I am trying to do.

"Kay" wrote:

Hi everyone,

I have a pivot table for training records that uses the Emp ID field as the
Page Filter. I want to be able to look up data based on the page filter
choice on another spreadsheet. If I create a tupical VLookup, I get an NA
=VLOOKUP(B4,'Education Info'!A2:$C$400,2,FALSE). GetPivotData Function is
activated, but it does not show that. First of all, can I lookup data from
anoather sheet based on the filter results of the EMP ID field? Second,
should I begin with get pivot data function? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Your formula looks okay, and you shouldn't need to include the
GetPivotData function.
Are the IDs numbers? Maybe they're being treated as numbers in one
table, and as text in the other table.

If that's the problem, there are instructions here, to change text to
numbers:

http://www.contextures.com/xlDataEntry03.html

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kay Kay is offline

Debra,

Thanks for responding. both fields in each worksheet are formatted with a
general format.

Kay wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have a pivot table for training records that uses the Emp ID field as the
Page Filter. I want to be able to look up data based on the page filter
choice on another spreadsheet. If I create a tupical VLookup, I get an NA
=VLOOKUP(B4,'Education Info'!A2:$C$400,2,FALSE). GetPivotData Function is
activated, but it does not show that. First of all, can I lookup data from
anoather sheet based on the filter results of the EMP ID field? Second,
should I begin with get pivot data function? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kay Kay is offline

Default PIvot Tables 2003 and VLookup Problem Solved

Debra,

How about NA for the records that do not have a match? You are right, the
formula is correct. I just didn't look at the data carefully enough. There
are training records for inactive employees that should be taken out of the
database. I became hung up on the limitations of pivot tables that I did not
look for the obvious.

thanks for your help

Kay wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have a pivot table for training records that uses the Emp ID field as the
Page Filter. I want to be able to look up data based on the page filter
choice on another spreadsheet. If I create a tupical VLookup, I get an NA
=VLOOKUP(B4,'Education Info'!A2:$C$400,2,FALSE). GetPivotData Function is
activated, but it does not show that. First of all, can I lookup data from
anoather sheet based on the filter results of the EMP ID field? Second,
should I begin with get pivot data function? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for letting me know how you solved the problem.

After you clear the names from the database, you can use the
instructions here, to remove them from the pivot table dropdown lists too: