Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
LAS LAS is offline

Default Install Excel on a new computer

I'd like to have all the same customized tool bars, Personal file, add ins,
etc. on my new computer that I have on an old computer. What files do I need
to copy over and where do I find them? I can't even remember all the
settings and changes I've made since my original installation. Help will be
greatly appreciated.
--
Thank you,
LAS
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Providing your operating system(s) and Excel version(s) would be meaningful.
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"LAS"
wrote in message
I'd like to have all the same customized tool bars, Personal file, add ins,
etc. on my new computer that I have on an old computer. What files do I need
to copy over and where do I find them? I can't even remember all the
settings and changes I've made since my original installation. Help will be
greatly appreciated.
--
Thank you,
LAS
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

For menus and toolbars.

*.XLB depending on the version of Excel Excel11 is 2003

Add-ins are *.XLA

If you by personal file mean personal macro workbook then you can just copy
over the code as a text file, start and close a macro recording where you
select "store macro in personal macro workbook". Do windowunhide and unhide
the personal.xls, then press Alt + F11 to open the VBE, double click the
macro module in the personal.xls to the left in the project pane and paste
over the recorded code with the old.

Peo Sjoblom

"LAS" wrote in message
I'd like to have all the same customized tool bars, Personal file, add
ins,
etc. on my new computer that I have on an old computer. What files do I
need
to copy over and where do I find them? I can't even remember all the
settings and changes I've made since my original installation. Help will
be
greatly appreciated.
--
Thank you,
LAS

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Here is a list from Dave Peterson...............

I have a short list of things to copy/update when we change pc's at work.

It's not complete, but may help you.

Word/Excel files:

FileName Use
custom.dic personal dictionary
*.acl personal autocorrect list
mssp2_en.exc personal exclusion dictionary
normal.dot default (for new documents) template
*.dot Any other templates you've made

*.xlb personal toolbar
book.xlt defaults for new workbooks
sheet.xlt defaults for new worksheets
personal.xl* personal macros
*.xlt Any other templates you've made

And don't forget any:
Local files (If you don’t store on LAN)
(Settings) Directories and other defaults (Tools|Options stuff)

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 13:17:01 -0700, LAS
wrote:

I'd like to have all the same customized tool bars, Personal file, add ins,
etc. on my new computer that I have on an old computer. What files do I need
to copy over and where do I find them? I can't even remember all the
settings and changes I've made since my original installation. Help will be
greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Almost the same as Gord's but with a few comments at the end:

Saved from a previous post (so there it's kind of redundant at the end):

I have a short list of things to copy/update when we changed pc's at work.

It's not complete, but may help you.

Word/Excel files:

FileName Use
custom.dic personal dictionary
*.acl personal autocorrect list
mssp2_en.exc personal exclusion dictionary
normal.dot default (for new documents) template
*.dot Any other templates you've made

*.xlb personal toolbar
book.xlt defaults for new workbooks
sheet.xlt defaults for new worksheets
personal.xl* personal macros
*.xlt Any other templates you've made

And don't forget any:
Local files (If you don’t store on LAN)
(Settings) Directories and other defaults (Tools|Options stuff)

====

I've found the easiest way to find these files is to use Windows start
button|Search.

Remember to look through hidden folders/files. And if I find multiple files of
the same name, I open excel (say), then make a minor change to that file. Then
search again. Then I can pick out the current version of the file.

That said, if you're upgrading from an older version of office, I wouldn't copy
the toolbar. (I would take good notes to help me rebuild this toolbar (maybe
even fix it up a bit).)

Same with the normal.dot (I'd let MSWord rebuild that--then just copy|paste any
macros into it manually.)

The *.xlt (book.xlt, sheet.xlt), I'd copy over, but then open and resave them
using the newer version.

LAS wrote:

I'd like to have all the same customized tool bars, Personal file, add ins,
etc. on my new computer that I have on an old computer. What files do I need
to copy over and where do I find them? I can't even remember all the
settings and changes I've made since my original installation. Help will be
greatly appreciated.
--
Thank you,
LAS

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

An interesting article for Office 2003:
I believe Microsoft removed this tool for Office 2007....of course!

Description and use of the Save My Settings Wizard
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826809

--
HTH :)
Dana DeLouis

"LAS" wrote in message
I'd like to have all the same customized tool bars, Personal file, add
ins,
etc. on my new computer that I have on an old computer. What files do I
need
to copy over and where do I find them? I can't even remember all the
settings and changes I've made since my original installation. Help will
be
greatly appreciated.
--
Thank you,
LAS

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
LAS LAS is offline

Thank you all for the very useful information. Sorry I didn't include
versions, I'm using Office 2003 on a computer with Windows XP Home Edition.
I believe I have enough to try making my new computer's Office look for the
most part like my old computer. Thank you all again.
--
Thank you,
LAS