Igor2005

Default Working with Excel

Dear friends!
I have the following problem - I am needing to represent in Excel a number
with 20 (or more) digits. How can I do this?
Many thanks!

Jan Karel Pieterse

Hi Igor2005,

I have the following problem - I am needing to represent in Excel a number
with 20 (or more) digits. How can I do this?

That is only possible with either:

- an addin (search google, there should be something for this, I recall
seeing it but misplaced the link).
- or by formatting the cell as text (but you won't be able to do math with
the number easily then)

Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP
www.jkp-ads.com

Bernard Liengme

The free add-in XNUMBERS will allow this.
Find it at http://digilander.libero.it/foxes/
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Igor2005" wrote in message
Dear friends!
I have the following problem - I am needing to represent in Excel a number
with 20 (or more) digits. How can I do this?
Many thanks!

Gordon

Jan Karel Pieterse wrote:
|| Hi Igor2005,
||| I have the following problem - I am needing to represent in Excel a
||| number with 20 (or more) digits. How can I do this?
|| That is only possible with either:
|| - an addin (search google, there should be something for this, I
|| recall seeing it but misplaced the link).

Rubbish! Just make sure the column width will take it, and the cell is
formatted for number.

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Gordon

Bernard Liengme wrote:
|| The free add-in XNUMBERS will allow this.
|| Find it at http://digilander.libero.it/foxes/
|| best wishes

Rubbish! Just make sure the column width will take it, and the cell is
formatted for number. I've just done it in a new workbook in Excel 2003.

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Jan Karel Pieterse

Hi Gordon,

Rubbish! Just make sure the column width will take it, and the cell is
formatted for number.

Did you even try?

Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP
www.jkp-ads.com

Gordon

Jan Karel Pieterse wrote:
|| Hi Gordon,
||| Rubbish! Just make sure the column width will take it, and the cell
||| is formatted for number.
|| Did you even try?
|| Regards,
|| Jan Karel Pieterse
|| Excel MVP
|| www.jkp-ads.com

Yes, that's why I cancelled the post. It does 15. I wonder why the OP wants
20 digits?

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Myrna Larson

Since Excel uses IEEE format for double-precision numbers, and that format is
limited to 15 digits of precision, what do the last 5 digits of your "numbers"
look like? If the cell is formatted as General, I expect they are all 0's.

For example, I have a very wide column and a cell format of general. I type

12345678901234567891

and what I see is

12345678901234500000

Yes, that's a 20-digit "number", but it isn't the number I typed.

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 21:30:19 -0000, "Gordon"
wrote:

Bernard Liengme wrote:
|| The free add-in XNUMBERS will allow this.
|| Find it at http://digilander.libero.it/foxes/
|| best wishes

Rubbish! Just make sure the column width will take it, and the cell is
formatted for number. I've just done it in a new workbook in Excel 2003.

Myrna Larson

Cancelling seems not to work. If you're not sure of your ground, you have to
test before posting <g.

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 21:57:46 -0000, "Gordon"
wrote:

Jan Karel Pieterse wrote:
|| Hi Gordon,
||| Rubbish! Just make sure the column width will take it, and the cell
||| is formatted for number.
|| Did you even try?
|| Regards,
|| Jan Karel Pieterse
|| Excel MVP
|| www.jkp-ads.com

Yes, that's why I cancelled the post. It does 15. I wonder why the OP wants
20 digits?

Jan Karel Pieterse

Hi Gordon,

Yes, that's why I cancelled the post. It does 15. I wonder why the OP wants
20 digits?

Well, some people actually need high precision calculations. But it may also
be a code number of some sort, in which case formatting as text will do the
job nicely.

Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP