Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Question about protecting a formula.

How can I protect a formula while allowing data entry in the affected cells?
Actually the better question is, can I?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Each cell can be locked or unlocked.
Format|cells|Protection tab is where you specify what you want
(xl2003 menus)

But this protection doesn't really matter until you protect the sheet:
Tools|Protection|protect sheet
(still xl2003 menus)

But there are lots and lots of things that are not available on a protected
sheet. You may want to test a bit to see if the functionality that you want is
still there after you protect the sheet.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can apply protection to any cell containing a formula without affecting
the cell(s) it applies to. EG if A1 contains =B1+C1, protecting A1 won't
affect B1 or C1.
An easy way to protect all your formula is to hit 'Edit' on the toolbar, 'Go
To' Click 'Special', check 'Formulas' OK
This highlights all your formulas. Right click in one of them, 'Format
Cells' 'Protection' OK
Protect the worksheet by 'Tools' 'Protection' Protect Sheet', Password
it if you want to, OK
Note that Protection is not Security, Excel worksheet passwords are very
easily cracked by anyone with a little knowledge and the will to do so,
Regards,
Alan.
"tgcali" wrote in message
How can I protect a formula while allowing data entry in the affected
cells?
Actually the better question is, can I?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you both for your replies. I can't seem to do what I need. I'll keep
trying. Thanks again.