Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel

Default Mathematical puzzle (for all you Excel experts)

Hi

I have a mathematical puzzle that I cant solve.

In the table below, the inputs are the values in columns "A" and "B
and the desired output is column "C".

A B C

-3 -3 0
-3 +3 -6
+3 -3 0
+3 +3 +6
0 0 0

What on earth is the formula in Microsoft Excel that creates "C"?

With thanks

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

Clue:
If you strip the sign off "A" and then add "A" and "B" together
and then apply the sign afterwards, you get the correct
answer. But how the heck do you do this in msExcel ?
And/or isnt there a better way of doing the mathematics ? (!)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel

=IF(B1<=0,0,IF(A1<0,-B1+A1,B1+A1)) and copy down
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200777

"ship" wrote:

Hi

I have a mathematical puzzle that I cant solve.

In the table below, the inputs are the values in columns "A" and "B
and the desired output is column "C".

A B C

-3 -3 0
-3 +3 -6
+3 -3 0
+3 +3 +6
0 0 0

What on earth is the formula in Microsoft Excel that creates "C"?

With thanks

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

Clue:
If you strip the sign off "A" and then add "A" and "B" together
and then apply the sign afterwards, you get the correct
answer. But how the heck do you do this in msExcel ?
And/or isnt there a better way of doing the mathematics ? (!)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel

On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 17:04:04 -0700 (PDT), ship wrote:

Hi

I have a mathematical puzzle that I cant solve.

In the table below, the inputs are the values in columns "A" and "B
and the desired output is column "C".

A B C

-3 -3 0
-3 +3 -6
+3 -3 0
+3 +3 +6
0 0 0

What on earth is the formula in Microsoft Excel that creates "C"?

With thanks

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

Clue:
If you strip the sign off "A" and then add "A" and "B" together
and then apply the sign afterwards, you get the correct
answer. But how the heck do you do this in msExcel ?
And/or isnt there a better way of doing the mathematics ? (!)

=SIGN(A1)*(ABS(A1)+B1)
--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel

....and...another:

C1: =A1+IF(A10,B1,-B1)

--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"ship" wrote in message
Hi

I have a mathematical puzzle that I cant solve.

In the table below, the inputs are the values in columns "A" and "B
and the desired output is column "C".

A B C

-3 -3 0
-3 +3 -6
+3 -3 0
+3 +3 +6
0 0 0

What on earth is the formula in Microsoft Excel that creates "C"?

With thanks

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

Clue:
If you strip the sign off "A" and then add "A" and "B" together
and then apply the sign afterwards, you get the correct
answer. But how the heck do you do this in msExcel ?
And/or isnt there a better way of doing the mathematics ? (!)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel

May be this one

=IF(A1=B1,ABS(A1)+B1,A1-ABS(B1))

On Apr 7, 5:27*am, "Ron Coderre"
wrote:
...and...another:

C1: =A1+IF(A10,B1,-B1)

--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"ship" wrote in message

Hi

I have a mathematical puzzle that I cant solve.

In the table below, the inputs are the values in columns "A" and "B
and the desired output is column "C".

* A * * * *B * * * C

*-3 * * * -3 * * * 0
*-3 * * * +3 * * *-6
*+3 * * * -3 * * * 0
*+3 * * * +3 * * *+6
* 0 * * * *0 * * * 0

What on earth is the formula in Microsoft Excel that creates "C"?

With thanks

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

Clue:
If you strip the sign off "A" and then add "A" and "B" together
and then apply the sign afterwards, you get the correct
answer. But how the heck do you do this in msExcel ?
And/or isnt there a better way of doing the mathematics ? (!)- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel

ship wrote...
In the table below, the inputs are the values in columns "A" and "B
and the desired output is column "C".

A B C

-3 -3 0
-3 +3 -6
+3 -3 0
+3 +3 +6
0 0 0

What on earth is the formula in Microsoft Excel that creates "C"?

Another possibility, C1: =(B10)*2*A1

If this is would be a differentiable function at every (x,y) point,
then none of the formulas offered so far would be correct. There's an
infinite number of polynomials in x and y that could pass through
these 5 (x,y) points.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel

How does that work for the second example, with -3 for A, +3 for B, and -6
for the result?
--
David Biddulph

"GerryGerry" wrote in message
C = B + ABS(A)

"ship" wrote in message
Hi

I have a mathematical puzzle that I cant solve.

In the table below, the inputs are the values in columns "A" and "B
and the desired output is column "C".

A B C

-3 -3 0
-3 +3 -6
+3 -3 0
+3 +3 +6
0 0 0

What on earth is the formula in Microsoft Excel that creates "C"?

With thanks

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

Clue:
If you strip the sign off "A" and then add "A" and "B" together
and then apply the sign afterwards, you get the correct
answer. But how the heck do you do this in msExcel ?
And/or isnt there a better way of doing the mathematics ? (!)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:09:11 +0100, "GerryGerry" wrote:

C = B + ABS(A)

"ship" wrote in message
Hi

I have a mathematical puzzle that I cant solve.

In the table below, the inputs are the values in columns "A" and "B
and the desired output is column "C".

A B C

-3 -3 0
-3 +3 -6
+3 -3 0
+3 +3 +6
0 0 0

Fails on example 2
--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 06:46:03 -0700, dlw wrote:

You get the Occam's Razor award!

As Mencken once wrote:

"There is always an easy solution to every human problem--neat,
plausible, and wrong."

"Occam's Razor" fails on example 2.
--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel

Hi

I have a mathematical puzzle that I cant solve.

In the table below, the inputs are the values in columns "A" and "B
and the desired output is column "C".

A B C

-3 -3 0
-3 +3 -6
+3 -3 0
+3 +3 +6
0 0 0

What on earth is the formula in Microsoft Excel that creates "C"?

With thanks

Ship
ShipertonHenethe

Clue:
If you strip the sign off "A" and then add "A" and "B" together
and then apply the sign afterwards, you get the correct
answer. But how the heck do you do this in msExcel ?
And/or isnt there a better way of doing the mathematics ? (!)

=SIGN(A1)*(ABS(A1)+B1)- Hide quoted text -

Yes, Greg I think you get the prize for the most *intuitively obvious*
solution.

i.e. in english, then
1. Keep the +ve or -ve "sign" of A
2. Then take A, and either add or subtract B from it
(irrespective of A's sign).

And yes, well done - that's exactly what I'm looking for !

thanks very much

Ship