Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default copy data from varying slected rows into new spreadsheet

Good morning,

I am trying to find a solution to a problem without writing a macro because
a coworker asked for a nonmacro solution (don't know why) and I wanted to see
if I could do it.

I have one spreadsheet with data. On other spreadsheets I have a column of
vlookups that give me the row numbers for each individual spreadsheet. For
example, a spreadsheet might list row numbers 1,4 27, 52, 69, 83.

What formulas could I use to get the data for each selected row of about 10
columns into the support spreadsheets? For my example I'd want to get the
data from these cells in the master into the support spreadsheet:

A1 B1 C1 D1 E1 F1 G1 H1 I1 J1
A4 B4 C4 D4 E4 F4 G4 H4 I4 J4
A27 B27 C27 D27 E27 F27 G27 H27 I27 J27
and etc.

I tried using vlookups for each piece of data (10 columns' worth) but that
takes too long to calculate so I figured if I could get one column of row
numbers and work off it then the calculations would be 10 times faster.

A simple way to describe the core of the problem (if what I described isn't
clear) is "If I have the letter "A" in one cell and the number "1" in
another, how do I combine the "A" and the "1" in a third cell such that the
third cell has the value of cell A! rather than the text "A1"?

Thanks,

--
Rick H

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks!

There's so many functions I have never heard of. That's exactly the one I
need.

You know, I could get used to this "ask somebody who knows more, rather than
reinventing the wheel" concept.
--
Rick H