Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Time and Date Format

Everytime I enter 442008, which is supposed to be 4/4/2008, and I go to
format cells and try to convert it to a date format i get 2/6/1912. Why is
the computer giving me a different date? I would like to be able to enter
442008, and Excel automatically converts it to a date. The same thing
happens with the time when I type 8:25 and convert it to time I get 6:00.
Can you please tell me what I am doing wrong? Thank you!!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

go to Tools | Options | Transition | tick the microsoft excel and not
lotus notes

This might work out..........

On Apr 4, 8:27*pm, Té wrote:
Everytime I enter 442008, which is supposed to be 4/4/2008, and I go to
format cells and try to convert it to a date format i get 2/6/1912. *Why is
the computer giving me a different date? *I would like to be able to enter
442008, and Excel automatically converts it to a date. *The same thing
happens with the time when I type 8:25 and convert it to time I get 6:00. *
Can you please tell me what I am doing wrong? *Thank you!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In another cell enter:

=DATE(RIGHT(A1,4),LEFT(A1,1),MID(A1,2,1))

NOTE this will only work with one digit months and days.

1112008 can be either January 11 or November 1
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200777

"Té" wrote:

Everytime I enter 442008, which is supposed to be 4/4/2008, and I go to
format cells and try to convert it to a date format i get 2/6/1912. Why is
the computer giving me a different date? I would like to be able to enter
442008, and Excel automatically converts it to a date. The same thing
happens with the time when I type 8:25 and convert it to time I get 6:00.
Can you please tell me what I am doing wrong? Thank you!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have an entire worksheet full of numbers I want to convert into dates
without deleting everything and type mm/dd/yyyy. Is there a format I can
create?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Select the entire worksheet

Go to Ctrl + 1 | number tab | click category custom | type mm/dd/yyyy

On Apr 4, 8:46*pm, Té wrote:
I have an entire worksheet full of numbers I want to convert into dates
without deleting everything and type mm/dd/yyyy. *Is there a format I can
create?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

that converts them into date format, but it changes the entire date to
something else.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel will not recognize 442008 as a date.

Or 8:25 as a time.

Enter as 4/4/2008 or 0:8:25

If you don't want to type the / or : then you will need VBA event code.

See Chip Pearson's site.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 08:27:00 -0700, Té wrote:

Everytime I enter 442008, which is supposed to be 4/4/2008, and I go to
format cells and try to convert it to a date format i get 2/6/1912. Why is
the computer giving me a different date? I would like to be able to enter
442008, and Excel automatically converts it to a date. The same thing
happens with the time when I type 8:25 and convert it to time I get 6:00.
Can you please tell me what I am doing wrong? Thank you!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you already have the data in the worksheet and want to convert the numbers
into dates, in place, then Select the cells and run:

Sub dateconverter()
For Each r In Selection
v = r.Text
If IsNumeric(v) Then
l = Len(v)
If l = 8 Then
r.NumberFormat = "m/d/yyyy;@"
r.Value = DateSerial(Right(v, 4), Left(v, 2), Mid(v, 3, 2))
End If
If l = 6 Then
r.NumberFormat = "m/d/yyyy;@"
r.Value = DateSerial(Right(v, 4), Left(v, 1), Mid(v, 2, 1))
Next

Gary''s Student - gsnu200777

"Té" wrote:

I have an entire worksheet full of numbers I want to convert into dates
without deleting everything and type mm/dd/yyyy. Is there a format I can
create?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you so much!!!