Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ann Ann is offline

Default wrapping text in merged cells

HELP - I'm formatting an Excel spreadsheet. I have some merged cells that
have text in it that I want to wrap. I've selected wrap text on the
fomatting menu....and the text does wrap, but the cell doesn't expand to show
the wrapped text? I've tried selecting the row and formatting it to "auto
fit", but that doesn't work either. How do I get the cell to expand to show
that wrapped text? I'm open to just about anything at this point. Any help
is appreciated. Thanks,
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Unfortunately, you're experiencing one of the trade offs using merged cells,
and you're left with having to resize the row manually.

Personally, I try to avoid using merge cells at all as they merely
complicate things. In many cases you can get the format you want by using
Center Across Selection
--
Kevin Backmann

"Ann" wrote:

HELP - I'm formatting an Excel spreadsheet. I have some merged cells that
have text in it that I want to wrap. I've selected wrap text on the
fomatting menu....and the text does wrap, but the cell doesn't expand to show
the wrapped text? I've tried selecting the row and formatting it to "auto
fit", but that doesn't work either. How do I get the cell to expand to show
that wrapped text? I'm open to just about anything at this point. Any help
is appreciated. Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You have run into one of the "features" of merged cells.

Text will wrap but the rows will not autofit without using event code or a
macro.

If interested in event code see this...................

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...1c160cbeb27874

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP