Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Comparing two ranges of data and identify the common/like informat

Have tried a couple of solutions and not found anything that works well

I have spreadsheets containing like data (different years).

The inforamtion on sheet A is
First Name, Last name and Hours 06-07

The information on sheet B is
First Name, Last Name and hours 07-08

I need to compare the two sheets and quickly identify the names that appear
on both lists.

Appreciate any ideas on an easy solution.

--
debra
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Have you tried using the Vlookup function? You should be able to mark rows
that are in one sheet that appear in a second sheet. You can use references
in the formula that specifiy a different sheet or even a different book.
--
Dan L.

"debra" wrote:

Have tried a couple of solutions and not found anything that works well

I have spreadsheets containing like data (different years).

The inforamtion on sheet A is
First Name, Last name and Hours 06-07

The information on sheet B is
First Name, Last Name and hours 07-08

I need to compare the two sheets and quickly identify the names that appear
on both lists.

Appreciate any ideas on an easy solution.

--
debra

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Chip Pearson has lots of techniques to work with duplicates:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/Duplicates.aspx

If the lastnames are unique, you could just compare those two columns.

If the lastnames are not unique, but the combination of first and lastnames are,
then I'd insert a new column and concatenate the names:

=a1&"..."&b1
and drag down
(on both sheets)

Then use those two helper columns for the comparison.

debra wrote:

Have tried a couple of solutions and not found anything that works well

I have spreadsheets containing like data (different years).

The inforamtion on sheet A is
First Name, Last name and Hours 06-07

The information on sheet B is
First Name, Last Name and hours 07-08

I need to compare the two sheets and quickly identify the names that appear
on both lists.

Appreciate any ideas on an easy solution.

--
debra

--

Dave Peterson