Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default can you create wbs numbers in excel?

can you create wbs numbers in excel? Can you automate from sub levels of a WBS?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Probably, but why use the wrong tool for the job? MS Project can do
all of this for you, and export to Excel when it's done.

HTH,
JP

On Apr 1, 5:19*am, Paddy wrote:
can you create wbs numbers in excel? Can you automate from sub levels of a WBS?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can go to this page at my site and look in the right column for the link
to the WBS file and download it. Goes to 4 levels, a bit 'primative', but
generally functional. It's not 'self-repairing' as are auto-paragraph
numbering in Word or Project.
http://www.jlathamsite.com/LearningPage.htm
direct link to the file itself:
http://www.jlathamsite.com/Teach/Aut...hNumbering.xls
Right-click and save target as...

On Apr 1, 5:19 am, Paddy wrote:
can you create wbs numbers in excel? Can you automate from sub levels of a WBS?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Paddy, I accidentally replied to JP so you may not have gotten notice of
response. See that post of mine for possible Excel solution for you.

can you create wbs numbers in excel? Can you automate from sub levels of a WBS?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Paddy,

I created a 6 level functional hierachy and needed an automated WBS tool.
In my case I had each level in a separate column and the nodes listed in a
unique row. I am no excel guru but it does the job for me. In my case the
WBS entry column was A:A, B:B was a summary description of each node and the
range A1:I3 was heading information. Here is the VBA code:

Sub WBS_Generator()

' Declare variables
Dim level_counter(7), row_no, no_nodes, array_index As Integer
Dim node_description, WBS_no As String

' Determine the number of nodes to process (first entry row is row 4)
row_no = 3: no_nodes = 0
Do
row_no = row_no + 1
node_description = Worksheets("System Architecture").Cells(row_no,
2).Value
If node_description < "" Then no_nodes = no_nodes + 1
Loop Until node_description = ""

'For each node determine the column (ie, WBS level)
col_no = 2 ' first entry column is column 3
For row_no = 4 To no_nodes + 3
Do
col_no = col_no + 1
node_description = Worksheets("System Architecture").Cells(row_no,
col_no).Value
If node_description < "" Then
level_counter(col_no - 2) = level_counter(col_no - 2) + 1
WBS_no = "" 'initialise WBS number
For array_index = 1 To col_no - 2
WBS_no = WBS_no & level_counter(array_index) & "." 'build
WBS number
Next array_index
Worksheets("System Architecture").Cells(row_no, 1).Value = "'" &
WBS_no
For array_index = col_no - 1 To 7
level_counter(array_index) = 0
Next array_index