-   -   Massaging data to determine risk (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/181864-massaging-data-determine-risk.html)

DouglasinHawaii

Massaging data to determine risk

In range of data I need to find jthe largest numerical movement in one
direction without (x) retrace. (x in this case being a specific whole
number) Please help with a formula or direct me to where I could find this
information.
Using Excel 2007
For example: in range of numerical data, the largest directional integer
movement was 300 before the data moved 25 in reverse.
Example 2: In data the largest directional integer movement was 224 before
the data moved 30 in reverse.

Gary''s Student

Massaging data to determine risk

Let's say your data is in column A, in B1 enter 0, in B2 enter:

=IF(OR(B1=-1,A2<A1),-1,A2-A1) and copy down, In an un-used cell enter:

=MAX(B:B) your desired answer. For example:

1 0 3
2 1
3 1
6 3
7 1
9 2
8 -1
12 -1
100 -1
114 -1

The maximum single step increase is 3 before the downturn.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200776

"DouglasinHawaii" wrote:

In range of data I need to find jthe largest numerical movement in one
direction without (x) retrace. (x in this case being a specific whole
number) Please help with a formula or direct me to where I could find this
information.
Using Excel 2007
For example: in range of numerical data, the largest directional integer
movement was 300 before the data moved 25 in reverse.
Example 2: In data the largest directional integer movement was 224 before
the data moved 30 in reverse.

DouglasinHawaii

Massaging data to determine risk

Gary,
Thanks for the reply.
However perhaps a bit of clarification is needed either by me or for you .
You solved for the maximum single step increase before the downturn.
I need to solve for the total increase or decrease before a fixed reversal.
(data ? down/up before a reversal of x.) (for example x = 25) (200 points
down before x)
It is possible that the data would have multiple instances of x reversal,
and I'd need to log each if possible.