Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default reverse interest

Hi what formula would I need for excel to calculate interest in reverse so
that I start with $900 withdraw $30 per month for 30 months so how much
would I have if the interest rate was 5% per year?
Thanks Tracy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

HI Tracy,

=FV(5%/12,30,30,-900)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Tracy" wrote in message ...
| Hi what formula would I need for excel to calculate interest in reverse so
| that I start with $900 withdraw $30 per month for 30 months so how much
| would I have if the interest rate was 5% per year?
| Thanks Tracy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Look at Future Value (FV) in Help
Remember to use rate =5%/12 and for nper use 30 (months)
PV is you initial amount -900 (negative since you GAVE the money to the
bank)
PMT is +30 since (positive since you GOT the money)
I get $63.02 which agrees with an amortization table I made

0 900 ( 0 in A1, 900 in B1 - starting about a month zero)
1 =A1*(1+5%/12)-30 (interest after first month less
withdrawal)
2 =A2*(1+5%/12)-30
30 =A30*(1+5%/12)-30

best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Tracy" wrote in message
Hi what formula would I need for excel to calculate interest in reverse so
that I start with $900 withdraw $30 per month for 30 months so how much
would I have if the interest rate was 5% per year?
Thanks Tracy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Actually the interest is always going forward. Let's say that at the end of
the first month, monthly interest is first accured on the $900, and then 30
is withdrawn. At the end of the second month, monthly interest is accured on
the balance at the end of the first on and then 30 is withdrawn.

The two main ways of calculating the interest rate a

YearlyRate/12
and
(1+YealyRate)^(1/12)-1

Let's look at both ways. In both B1 and B1 enter:
900

In A2 enter:
A1*(1+0.05/12)-30 and copy down

In B2 enter: