Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default IF formula

I want to set up a formula to do the following. The formula is placed in
column A:
Look in column B for a specific text string. If that value is in column B,
copy it to column A
If the value is not found in B, leave A alone (either blank, or the existing
value of A)

I've tried the followign:
=IF(B1="XX",B1,A1)

however, if I do this and the value is NOT found in column B, the resulting
value is 0.

Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

that works to retain the "blank" if A1 is blank, but it also overwrites any
value already in A1.

"Kevin B" wrote:

Try the following formual:

=IF(B1="XX",B1,"")

--
Kevin Backmann

"richzip" wrote:

I want to set up a formula to do the following. The formula is placed in
column A:
Look in column B for a specific text string. If that value is in column B,
copy it to column A
If the value is not found in B, leave A alone (either blank, or the existing
value of A)

I've tried the followign:
=IF(B1="XX",B1,A1)

however, if I do this and the value is NOT found in column B, the resulting
value is 0.

Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well if the formula is in A1 then it is bound to overwrite what was in A1
before, as you can't have both !!

You would need a macro to do what you are trying to achieve.

Pete
"richzip" wrote in message
that works to retain the "blank" if A1 is blank, but it also overwrites
any
value already in A1.

"Kevin B" wrote:

Try the following formual: