Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Varied product list

I need to create a price list in Excel of our product line, but I need to be
able to modify its contents to particular customer types. For example, our
line includes frozen foods, candy, condiments, produce, non-food items, etc.
Certain customers have no interest in our frozen foods and our produce, for
example, so I would like to be able to generate a price list for these
particular customers adapted to their particular needs. I have entered our
entire product line & have all the unique products grouped, but Id like to
be able to check any number of check-boxes on an index page (where the groups
are all listed) & have Excel populate a list of all the products in that
group, along with a heading for each group on a list page that I could print
& give to customers. I know that this type of issue is better handled by
Access, but most of my associates that would use this only have Excel. Any
ideas on how to do something like this? Im drawing a blank here.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This seems like a perfect project for access. If you don't know VBA this
would be a difficult task. The best advice I can give you is to use a
numbering system instead of check boxes. Like put -1 if they like a certain
product and 0. Then you can filter or create a pivot table and search by
customers names and only show the products that have -1 on them.

"Montana" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The filter would just be a normal filter. What exactly are you trying to do
here. So you want to be able to select a customer and only have the products
that they're interested in show up? And it's impossible to do that without
being able to see the products they don't want. Is there some other action
going on after this or what?

"Montana" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I got the closest to what I was looking for by creating a pivot table. With
it I can de-select certain categories, (such as frozen foods) before I send
it to the printer or email it. The pivot table will allow me to list the
items under a heading (the category name), where the filter listed every
thing together. The drawback to the PT is that it won't repeat the product
description when there is more than one size
of product. So I'm back to the drawing board.