Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Importing name list (only add new names) ?

Good morning, I have a list of names (several thousand) that I have imported
into Excel. I will have to import an updated list around once a month. Is
there a way to have my current list add only the new names that appear on the
imported list versus replacing my list with the new one? On the new list
there will be names added and removed, but on my main list I only want to
accept names that were added. So, simply replacing my list each month won't
work for my situation. Thank you for any assistance, -Kevin
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Let's say we have a workbook with two tabs, my list and monthly list. FOr
example in my list:

NAMES
mike
john
jim
sally
mary
sue
bill

Every month we first clear the data in monthly list and then import the new
month's data starting in cell A2:

Person
david
ivan
jim
john
mary
mike
sally
trevor
wilber

Some names are old, some are new. In cell B2, enter:
=COUNTIF('my list'!A:A,'monthly list'!A2) and copy down. We see:

Person Flag
david 0
ivan 0
jim 1
john 1
mary 1
mike 1
sally 1
trevor 0
wilber 0

The names with zero are new names. Trun on AutoFilter for column B and
select only rows with zeros. Copy the visible names and paste into the my
list tab.

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200775