Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Art Art is offline

Default Name Box

Hello:

How can I name a range like for E.G. A1:A200 and also C1:C200 and so on
without selecting actually the cells. I want to be able to do it by typing
the range is there a way to do it? Otherwise it would take me very long to
select all the cells I need. Please help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Click 'Insert' on the top toolbar, select 'Name' 'Define'. In the box that
appears enter your chosen name at the top and the required range at the
bottom. Click 'Add' 'OK' and that's that,
Regards,
Alan.
"art" wrote in message
Hello:

How can I name a range like for E.G. A1:A200 and also C1:C200 and so on
without selecting actually the cells. I want to be able to do it by typing
the range is there a way to do it? Otherwise it would take me very long to
select all the cells I need. Please help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

I'm not really sure what sort of further facilitation you're looking for,
since you know about the name box (from your subject line).

Perhaps this? You can easily create it with one fell swoop if you name the
ranges using the top col labels via Insert Name Create. Eg with col
labels in A1:E1, you could select the entire range, eg A1:E100, then click
Insert Name Create, ensure only "Top row" is checked, then click OK.
--
Max
Singapore
"art" wrote:
How can I name a range like for E.G. A1:A200 and also C1:C200 and so on
without selecting actually the cells. I want to be able to do it by typing
the range is there a way to do it? Otherwise it would take me very long to
select all the cells I need. Please help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Art Art is offline

I'll explain myself better. I know how to name ranges. But that's only when
you want to name for e.g. range a1:a100 then you write that and you name the
range. This is a simple range. You can also name a range for cell: A1 and C3
and F5 and so on different cells on the page by selecting it with the ctrl
button and then naming the range. But my question is how to name such a range
without actually selecting the cells with the mouse. I want to name the range
with just tyoing the range. But hoe do you type A1 and C3 And F5 and so on?
Please help.

"art" wrote:
How can I name a range like for E.G. A1:A200 and also C1:C200 and so on
without selecting actually the cells. I want to be able to do it by typing
the range is there a way to do it? Otherwise it would take me very long to
select all the cells I need. Please help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Do as I described previously and enter the range(s) for example:-
=Sheet1!$A$1,$C$3,$F$5
ie seperate the cell references with a comma,
Regards,
Alan.

"art" wrote:
How can I name a range like for E.G. A1:A200 and also C1:C200 and so on
without selecting actually the cells. I want to be able to do it by
typing
the range is there a way to do it? Otherwise it would take me very long
select all the cells I need. Please help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

.. But my question is how to name such a range
without actually selecting the cells with the mouse.

Probably need vba. Hang around awhile for those versed in vba to plough in
here. Or try a post in .programming.
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

InsertNameDefine.

Type a name then in the refers to dialog type =A1,A10,F6,D5,E9 and whatever
else you like up to about 46 cells.

Select all and use F4 key to change to absolute.

Hit Enter key and you're done.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP