Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Need your help bad...

Hello all!! I haven't used Excel in a while, I have a few questions, dont
know if I should post all of them, Ill just post a couple of a time.
1. I have a large excel spread sheet, with columns with, first and last
name, address, total spent etc. i have to separate by state, then, each
state with its own total.

2. how do I find out how many customers ordered from each state without
counting them one at a time. For ex. in NJ state 400 ppl ordered, by I have
a spread sheet with over 6,000 lines.

Please Please help.... thank you
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

With your state codes in column C:

=COUNTIF(C:C,"NJ")

or if the State you want a count for will be in a cell, say Z1, then:

=COUNTIF(C:C,Z1)

HTH,
Paul

--

"heyheyhey" wrote in message
Hello all!! I haven't used Excel in a while, I have a few questions, dont
know if I should post all of them, Ill just post a couple of a time.
1. I have a large excel spread sheet, with columns with, first and last
name, address, total spent etc. i have to separate by state, then, each
state with its own total.

2. how do I find out how many customers ordered from each state without
counting them one at a time. For ex. in NJ state 400 ppl ordered, by I
have
a spread sheet with over 6,000 lines.

Please Please help.... thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sounds like Excel's PivotTable feature was invented just for you<g

See Debra Dalgleish's site for excellent help with this.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/tiptech.html

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP