Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel file will not open with out opening excel.exe first

O3K

I attempt to open a file from outlook attachment, file on the desktop, and
it does not do anything

Right click and open with and it is pointed to open with excel

open excel and go file - open and it open fine

Thank you in advance
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You may need to do this...
Select Tools - Options - General tab and Uncheck "Ignore other applications"
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"sfleck" wrote:

O3K

I attempt to open a file from outlook attachment, file on the desktop, and
it does not do anything

Right click and open with and it is pointed to open with excel

open excel and go file - open and it open fine

Thank you in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sometimes one of these works when you're having trouble with double clicking on
the file in windows explorer:

Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

--- or ---

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

The /unregserver & /regserver stuff resets some of the windows registry to
excel's factory defaults.

sfleck wrote:

O3K

I attempt to open a file from outlook attachment, file on the desktop, and
it does not do anything

Right click and open with and it is pointed to open with excel

open excel and go file - open and it open fine

Thank you in advance

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

sfleck wrote:

O3K

I attempt to open a file from outlook attachment, file on the desktop, and
it does not do anything

Right click and open with and it is pointed to open with excel

open excel and go file - open and it open fine

Thank you in advance

--

Dave Peterson

Sometimes this may caused by file corruption, and you can try some
Excel file recovery tools, such as Advanced Excel Repair to repair
your Excel file.

Detailed information about Advanced Excel Repair can be found at
http://www.datanumen.com/aer/

And you can also download a free demo version at http://www.datanumen.com/aer/aer.exe

Hope this will help.

Alan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

I don't know why but every time I load Excel it loads a txt.file in it. I
applied what Dave said and then it opens 2 sheets, one blank and other with
the .txt file.

In Options - Save I can see in many places the name of this .txt file, such
as in "Autorecovery Exceptions for :" but it can't be removed.

If I add a new template in ../XLSTART folder then it woulkd load 2 sheeds
again.

I can't find where to disable this UNDESIRED load.

Could it be related to publish for web format, or similar?

Any clues?

Sharon

sfleck wrote:

O3K

I attempt to open a file from outlook attachment, file on the desktop, and
it does not do anything

Right click and open with and it is pointed to open with excel

open excel and go file - open and it open fine

Thank you in advance

--

Dave Peterson

Sometimes this may caused by file corruption, and you can try some
Excel file recovery tools, such as Advanced Excel Repair to repair
your Excel file.

Detailed information about Advanced Excel Repair can be found at
http://www.datanumen.com/aer/

And you can also download a free demo version at http://www.datanumen.com/aer/aer.exe

Hope this will help.

Alan

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In xl2003, I'd look at:

Tools|Options|General tab
Make sure that the: "At startup, open all files in:" is empty.

If that box is empty, then the next thing I'd do is search for all the XLStart
folders (there can be several) and look for that .txt file and remove it.

In fact, if you open excel so that your .txt file is open, try putting this in
any old cell:

=cell("Filename",a1)
(don't change anything)

It should return the information that you need to find that text file and remove
it. (Make sure you close excel first.)

Just a curiousity question--what's the name of the text file?

If these suggestions don't help, maybe the name will help someone else help you.

sfleck wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sorry for my omission, my trouble is within 2007.

I don't know how but suddenly I realized this trouble.

The file is "meteoclimatic.txt" which is related to weather station. Doesn't
mine.
But I'm not able to find any active connection with it. The only place where
I can see it is in Options - Save page where you can tell Excel no to do
autorecovery for this file. But it's impossible, for me, to remove it!

So, apparently, I know which is the file, but if it aims to the original one
I need it, so what I need to remove is the 'connection' or 'link' ...

I'd never seen this before in Excel. 2007 is driving me nuts!

Sharon

sfleck wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The formulas returns an error (#Value).

If the question is the source name, if I do (within VBA)
?thisworkbook.fullname then returns "M:/weather/metoclimatic.txt" which is
the original file Ineed to keep. I can't delete it. I need to find and remove
the link.

If I do:
?thisworkbook.Connections.count returns 0

I don't have code in this workbook neither (AFAIK) connection established...

I'm lost...

Sharon

sfleck wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I mistyped the formula, so the formula (as expected) returns the same as in
VBA.

So far that gives me the name of the file, but how to remove it from
automatically be opened as first workbook?

Sharon

sfleck wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What happens when you try to delete the file?

Did you close excel?

Do you have read/write/delete access to the M: drive?

Where (be specific) do you see that file under Tools|Options?

sfleck wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

I can't delete the file, because it's autogenerated, but if I delete the map
drive (having excel closed), when I try to open excel (even with /e option)
it tries to open meteoclimatic.txt, exactly "M:\uploads\meteoclimatic.txt",
but obviously it can't.

I close excel and when open it again, it tries again to open
meteoclimatic.txt. So still this info is saved anywhere in excel config
file...

So, where EXCEL 2007 has this info?

Regarding to your question about where in Options appears this file I don't
think it is the point, because the problem is why it looks to open this file.
When it's opened it offers options to the file you have opened, so for
instance you can say "I don't want autorecovering" for this particular file.
In ADVANCED tab there are lots of options to configure (actual) file or
general.

So, IMO the point is get where this inside-link is saved or configured.

Furthermore, it happened without my volition.

Any clue?

sfleck wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It sounds to me like you have an addin/workbook that's opening when excel opens.

You can look under the office button|Excel options under the Addins category --
or look in the Advanced category for the General section to look to see if
there's an entry in the "At startup, open all files in:". (But now I'm
repeating myself.)

You may want to read these pages:

Chip Pearson has some notes on how to diagnose startup errors:

And Jan Karel Pieterse has more notes:
http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/StartupProblems.asp

sfleck wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dave,

That's it! Solved!

I should have thought about ADDIN's, but there are few places to look at,
and I saw no Addins established in sheet's tab neither in VBA, but there were
in Options.

Again, Thanks a lot!

Sharon

sfleck wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

@Dave,

I had rated your answer but I don't see the Ok tick anywhere....

I wouldn't look ingrated, but it doesn't work for me (rating)

Thanks anyway

Sharon

sfleck wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for the thought. But since I don't use the ratings (or know how to get
to them), it's not a problem for me.

Glad you got things fixed!