Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
RJB RJB is offline

Default 'RIGHT', 'LEFT' in a VLOOKUP

I have a table of five digit SKU numbers that I need to cross-reference with
a list of UPC numbers and sales data.

The last five digits of the UPC number are the SKU number.

So my VLOOKUP is basically

VLOOKUP (SKU, 'Sheet with UPC information'! UPC column:Price column, 2, false)

To make that work, I need to actually add a column BEFORE the UPC column
that's really RIGHT (UPC Column, 5).

But I have lots of files, and don't want to save changes to them (they're
not mine).

Is there a way to do the VLOOKUP in a way that's essentially,

VLOOKUP (SKU, 'Sheet with UPC information'! RIGHT (UPC Column,5):Price
column, 2, false)?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If your SKUs are unique (i.e. the last 5 digits of the UPC are also
unique), then you might be able to do it using wildcard characters
like this:

VLOOKUP ("*"&SKU, 'Sheet with UPC information'! UPC Column:Price
column, 2, false)

It depends on whether your UPCs are proper numbers or text values.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Mar 13, 5:00*pm, RJB wrote:
I have a table of five digit SKU numbers that I need to cross-reference with
a list of UPC numbers and sales data.

The last five digits of the UPC number are the SKU number.

So my VLOOKUP is basically

VLOOKUP (SKU, 'Sheet with UPC information'! UPC column:Price column, 2, false)

To make that work, I need to actually add a column BEFORE the UPC column
that's really RIGHT (UPC Column, 5).

But I have lots of files, and don't want to save changes to them (they're
not mine).

Is there a way to do the VLOOKUP in a way that's essentially,

VLOOKUP (SKU, 'Sheet with UPC information'! RIGHT (UPC Column,5):Price
column, 2, false)?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It's possible if you use the functions MATCH and INDEX togheter in an array
formulas (CRTL+SHIF+ENTER) as follow,
=INDEX(Return_Column,CORRESP(SKU,RIGHT(UPC_Column, 5),0))
--
Adilson Soledade

"RJB" wrote:

I have a table of five digit SKU numbers that I need to cross-reference with
a list of UPC numbers and sales data.

The last five digits of the UPC number are the SKU number.

So my VLOOKUP is basically

VLOOKUP (SKU, 'Sheet with UPC information'! UPC column:Price column, 2, false)

To make that work, I need to actually add a column BEFORE the UPC column
that's really RIGHT (UPC Column, 5).

But I have lots of files, and don't want to save changes to them (they're
not mine).

Is there a way to do the VLOOKUP in a way that's essentially,

VLOOKUP (SKU, 'Sheet with UPC information'! RIGHT (UPC Column,5):Price
column, 2, false)?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes, CORRESP is the Portuguese equivalent to MATCH.

Pete

On Mar 13, 5:42*pm, RJB wrote:
Do I sub "MATCH" for "CORRESP"?

"RJB" wrote:

I have a table of five digit SKU numbers that I need to cross-reference with
a list of UPC numbers and sales data.

The last five digits of the UPC number are the SKU number.

So my VLOOKUP is basically

VLOOKUP (SKU, 'Sheet with UPC information'! UPC column:Price column, 2, false)

To make that work, I need to actually add a column BEFORE the UPC column
that's really RIGHT (UPC Column, 5).

But I have lots of files, and don't want to save changes to them (they're
not mine).

Is there a way to do the VLOOKUP in a way that's essentially,

VLOOKUP (SKU, 'Sheet with UPC information'! RIGHT (UPC Column,5):Price
column, 2, false)?- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sorry for the mistake.
MATCH is the correcto form.
Different languages , different functions.
--
Adilson Soledade

"Pete_UK" wrote:

Yes, CORRESP is the Portuguese equivalent to MATCH.

Pete

On Mar 13, 5:42 pm, RJB wrote:
Do I sub "MATCH" for "CORRESP"?

"RJB" wrote:

I have a table of five digit SKU numbers that I need to cross-reference with
a list of UPC numbers and sales data.

The last five digits of the UPC number are the SKU number.

So my VLOOKUP is basically

VLOOKUP (SKU, 'Sheet with UPC information'! UPC column:Price column, 2, false)

To make that work, I need to actually add a column BEFORE the UPC column
that's really RIGHT (UPC Column, 5).

But I have lots of files, and don't want to save changes to them (they're
not mine).

Is there a way to do the VLOOKUP in a way that's essentially,

VLOOKUP (SKU, 'Sheet with UPC information'! RIGHT (UPC Column,5):Price
column, 2, false)?- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

One more quesntion.
If you'll have problems, probably you'll need to change the key search from
SKU to TEXT(SKU,"00000"). Sometimes the VLOOKUP doesn't recognize numbers as
search key.
--
Adilson Soledade