Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Division of Data Columns?

I have an old file that is set up in three columns like so:
A C E
B D F
I need the data in six columns: A B C D E F in order to sort, etc.
Anyone know how I can do this easily? There are about 1000 lines of data so
cutting & pasting individually is out of the question.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Click DATA in the menu and select TEXT TO COLUMNS. The next screen asks
whether its a fixed length record or delimited, and since you did not
indicate I can only assumed that it's delimited with a space as the
delimiter. If that's the case, select delimited and click the NEXT command
button, indicate which character separates one data element from the other
and click NEXT to review how Excel is parsing the data. Click FINSIH to
complete
--
Kevin Backmann

"Stevie" wrote:

I have an old file that is set up in three columns like so:
A C E
B D F
I need the data in six columns: A B C D E F in order to sort, etc.
Anyone know how I can do this easily? There are about 1000 lines of data so
cutting & pasting individually is out of the question.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=OFFSET($A$1,ROWS($1:1)*2-2+MOD(COLUMNS($A:A)+1,2),INT((COLUMNS($A:A)-1)/2))
and copy across your required 6 columns and down as far as required.

I am assuming that your data values continue in the following order:
A C E
B D F
G I K
H J L